none
My First Month RRS feed

• General discussion

• Import Codes

XLH983   -SBDemo

JBW409  -Lottery

QKQ309  -Horoscopes

Been using small basic for about a  month now so thought i would post my latest effort SBDemo and updates to my first two programs. Hope you like them. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with small basic it is a great starting point for  beginners. I must confess the starfield in SBDemo is not my work. Downloaded it off the forum. I hope they dont mind. Just one more thumbs up goes to the forum. Always helpfull and friendly and a great place to learn.

Last of all. Had a look at visual basic but failed to get anywhere. Could not even get the first tutorial (picture viewer) working and that was a step by step guide. Any tips for graduating to vb would be great.  ;-)

• Edited by SkidMarcUK Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:09 AM spelling is terrible
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:06 AM

All replies

• Nice projects, on the VB question I would apply the same principles to any computer language learning.

1] Start simply and work progressively trying new things.  The first project would normally be the 'Hello World" example, where the program outputs 'Hello World'; in SmallBasic this would be TextWindow.WriteLine("Hello World") .  There are several ways to do this in VB - I would start by creating a new Windows Forms Application - compile and run it as it is, then add a TextBox and Button on the window designer by dragging them from the ToolBox, then double click the button to code the button event with something like TextBox1.Text = "Hello World".

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            TextBox1.Text = "Hello World"
        End Sub

2] Get a book - you are unlikely to read it cover to cover but they usually have some good getting started, basic syntax and then they can be a good reference source.  If you can find one directed towards VS2010 all the better.

3] Use the VB forum with your questions - as usual specific questions with your code and what doesn't work will be easier than very general questions.  Also read other people's questions and their answers.

4] Be patient and realistic with the projects you try.

5] Make good use of the help 'F1' after selecting any command and intellisense when typing a . after a command.

6] Progressively look at all the options, windows (ToolBox, Solution Explorer and Properties are the ones to get to grips with first) and settings in the VS development environment - learn how to use the debugger to set breakpoints and check variable values as the program is running.

7] As you program a project, plan it out a bit first, then code it in stages that you can run and test as you develop it.  Maybe backup the project directories so you can wind back if you make changes that break something you have already coded.

It's a learning curve, but its fun learning what can be done.  Good Luck.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:23 PM