Control Hardware Acceleration in DirectX RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi there,

I am using Managed DirectX. Can i control level of hardware acceleration through DirectX while creating or initializing device?

If i can control it through my software, what things i can do with it?

there is still option to change hardware acceleration through manually by changing it through properties of VGA but my requirment is to change it through my own software.

please reply soon ....

Thanx

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:30 PM

Answers

• I think he is asking if he can change the settings you see in Control Panel/Display Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot

I don't recall seeing anything in DX to control these. I think this is something that happens between windows and the display driver.

I've used Camtasia Studio though and it can turn off hardware acceleration so it must be possible somehow. If you don't get any joy in here you might try some general windows API groups.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:39 PM

All replies

• You can control just about everything to my knowledge, but you'd have to ask about specific things if you want a specific answer.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 6:08 AM
  •  

I dont know what are u talking about ...

did u get my point what i have tired to ask.

ok can u just tell me how i can control or change hardware acceleration level through software (programming) any languange or any already written dll.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 6:21 AM
  • I guess I can say I don't understand what you're asking.

There are all sorts of things that get accelerated these days. Are you talking about hardware vertex processing vs software, or being able to tune features such as pixel shaders depending on the installed hardware, or levels of filtering etc?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 6:35 AM
  • I think he is asking if he can change the settings you see in Control Panel/Display Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot

I don't recall seeing anything in DX to control these. I think this is something that happens between windows and the display driver.

I've used Camtasia Studio though and it can turn off hardware acceleration so it must be possible somehow. If you don't get any joy in here you might try some general windows API groups.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:39 PM
  • There is an registry key for this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\[GUID of the instance]\0000\AccelerationLevel

But I am not sure how the system can be forced to reload this value without a restart.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:10 PM
  • There is this registry key. You can change the key with values from 0 to 5 where 5 is disabled completely and 0 is fully enabled video hardware acceleration.

You should first call EnumDisplayDevices() to obtain the graphics card information you want to change and to get the exact registry location of that key.

You should call ChangeDisplaySettings() after changing the key to the desired value to apply the change without rebooting.

My question would be, does anyone know how to change these settings if the graphics card does not have this key listed in the Registry, as it is for the ATI card I am currently using on my laptop (mobility radeon 9200).

There has to be some way doing this. But it is very hard finding answers for that problem and I need my application to contain that feature.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on that.
    Wednesday, August 16, 2006 3:01 PM