identifying mobile access RRS feed

• Question

• User-202786024 posted
    I am a real newbee here.... simple questions: 1) with .net ability to create mobile forms and processing, what is the easiest way to determine if a user is accessing a home page from mobile device (phone, pocketpc, palm...) or from a desktop browser. from entering the domain name in the browser, i want to either take the user to a desktop page with all the functionality and link to pages for desktop, or take the user to mobile page with links only to the mobile pages. 2) are mobile forms really the best solution of using pocketpc or is creating formated forms that display well in pocketpc better. 3) my real goal in using mobile forms is the ability to use phone access and it appears to do that well. second - more of a thought process... i intend on developing a number of objects that will then be included on either normal web pages and/or mobile web pages. all my coding and support will be in those objects and the gui will just be the access point. the home page will determine if the user is mobile or not and will set the user down the path needed to access information. there are a number of "actions" that can be preformed by both desk and mobile, but the mobile is a subset of all actions. my thought is that by creating and working with objects then the web pages themselves are just wrappers and calls to display specific objects for processing. make sense and is this the best way to mix and match access tools? it seems that .net development leads this way - agree or disagree??? thanks
    Sunday, August 15, 2004 9:35 AM

All replies

• User2085740027 posted
    Hi, You can use the property IsMobileDevice to find wheather the client device is a mobile one and can redirect to approprate page and using mobile web form is the approprate way to target the mobile device. Since it hides all the difficult in programming with Mobile device. Regards,
    Tuesday, August 17, 2004 5:49 AM
  • User-13463694 posted
    One additional note in reply to your question 2: > 2) are mobile forms really the best solution of using pocketpc or is creating formated forms that display well in pocketpc better. If you are only targeting Pocket PC and no other mobile device, you might stick with standard ASP.Net web forms. The advantage of mobile forms is that they provide write-once "adaptive rendering" on a wide variety of small devices, including WAP phones, XHTML devices, CHTML devices, etc.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2004 3:54 PM
  • User-202786024 posted
    Thanks. It appears that the IsMobileDevice works fine for a phone service connection (great) but when I accessed the site with a pocketpc device, it must not have been true. is pocketpc seen as mobiledevice? is a palm handheld considered mobiledevice??? actually, i like that it did not send it to mobile pages for handheld but then how can i tell if it is pocketpc or palm device? i would like to limit some information to pages on those devices.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2004 4:09 PM
  • User2085740027 posted
    Hi, I'm not sure whether it returns true for the pocket pc, but you can get the client browser information from the property Request.Browser and redirect it accordingly. Regards,
    Wednesday, August 18, 2004 5:39 AM
  • User301348547 posted
    Ok, what happens though if we want to have a different theme for the handheld device? Or just a different stylesheet? Let's suppose I have an application with two themes, Black and White, each with a default.css in it and all related files. It works ok for print. But when I want to show it in a handheld, it's too heavy. If I want to practically use no theme for handhelds, what can I do?
    Can I declare in the Master Page code to check for the device and change the theme or stylesheet accordingly? Can it be done declaratively?

Thank you in advance
    Friday, January 6, 2006 1:49 PM