Email Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to send out email notifications to users that have created a thread in a Discussion board in SharePoint 2010 Foundation. For example, if user John created a thread and I responded to his thread, it would email him telling him that I responded.

Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:11 PM

Answers

• You can add user alerts to the list by following these steps:

• From the user name dropdown, click on My Settings
    • Click on My Alerts (you may also directly navigate here using the following relative URL: /_layouts/mysubs.aspx)
    • Click Add Alert
    • Check the Discussions radio button
    • Click the Next button
    • Fill out the alerts properties, and click OK

I hope this helps.
    Regards,

Yuri Lausberg, MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD
    • Proposed as answer by Chris Geier Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Geikeon Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Check if outgoing e-mail is configured. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263462.aspx.

If it is configured and still getting that error, you may have to check Logs for more details.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:44 PM

All replies

• You can add user alerts to the list by following these steps:

• From the user name dropdown, click on My Settings
    • Click on My Alerts (you may also directly navigate here using the following relative URL: /_layouts/mysubs.aspx)
    • Click Add Alert
    • Check the Discussions radio button
    • Click the Next button
    • Fill out the alerts properties, and click OK

I hope this helps.
    Regards,

Yuri Lausberg, MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD
    • Proposed as answer by Chris Geier Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Hmmm. This does help, but the only problem is there's no option to send an alert based on a user's thread being responded to. Or changed, for that matter - as it says on the site. Or does the "Someone else changes a post created by me" respond to all users listed?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Alright, so I fully tried to get this started up and running (sorry it took so long to respond) and so far I am getting the following error message:

"This web application is not configured to send e-mail. For assistance, contact your server administrator."

I looked around in the settings but can't find anything for email. Is there anything special I need to do?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Check if outgoing e-mail is configured. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263462.aspx.

If it is configured and still getting that error, you may have to check Logs for more details.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:44 PM