Incorrect Infopath content type update in form library after modifying Infopath form and publish it RRS feed

• Question

• I have an admin approved InfoPath form. I added new fields to that form and mapped those new fields with site columns. After uploading updated published form through CA, I noticed InfoPath Site content type for that form got updated (with newly added fields) under Microsoft_Infopath group. This content type is also added in form library but somehow the new fields are updated incorrectly for this content type existing in form library (it doesn't show new fields, and shows one new field which is incorrectly mapped with other column this is happening only in library). 

Things I tried:

- Activate/Deactivate that content type feature

- Deactivated feature, removed form from CA, re uploaded and activated feature

- Removed those new fields and published and uploaded InfoPath form and then added those new fields and published and uploaded again.

-Deleted those fields from InfoPath and readded new fields and published and uploaded form but still the problem persists.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dhaval Raval

Friday, April 5, 2013 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi DelIT,

Do you mean that the new form works correctly when added to other library? And this happens to only the existing forms?

You can try these steps:

1. Go to the root site where the form content type is used.
    2. Click Site Actions> Site settings> Site content types.
    3. Open the form content type and click Advanced settings.
    4. Click update all content types inheriting from this type.

Then go to the library and manage the content types. Set the form content type as the default content type for the library and republish the form again.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Hi Thanks for the response,

But Update all content types inheriting from this type is already checked.

That form library has multiple content types associated with it , different infopath forms get submitted there. What I noticed is that when I change the form and publish it, its corresponding site content type gets updated but the same content type used in form library doesn't get updated properly. I went to form library and checked that erroneous content type, there were some columns missing and one column was mapped incorrectly. When I clicked on "Parent" content type, it was showing all the new Infopath fields(updated content type). So I figured that Infopath site content type was getting updated correctly but it was not able to propagate those updates (in a correct way) to the form library. I also tried to edit that content type and tried adding existing site columns which were missing but surprisingly it was not showing those site columns either, which were mapped from Infopath publishing.

The cause for this behavior is : changes/updates to the Infopath content type are not getting propagated to the form library and this is happening for only one infopath content type but other Infopath content types are getting updated.

I had to delete all the forms using that erroneous content type and then had to delete that content type from the library and then re-added that Infopath content type to the library and this time it was having correct content type (updated columns).

This is not a perfect solution for the production environment, sounds like it is a bug.

Dhaval Raval

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

This doesn't sound like a BUG to me. I would appreciate if you can open up a case with us so that we can investigate this issue in detail as it would need a detailed troubleshooting. The issue seems to be in a way we are trying to Publish the Form and updating the Content Types.

Mohit

Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:19 PM
  • For the record, I am experiencing the same exact behavior (SharePoint 2007 and InfoPath 2007) and I also deleted all remnants (or so I thought) of the originally published content type from all areas. Then I renamed the content type and template, and republished .  The updates still do not reflect the changes that were made! 

Update: I solved the problem and posted my solution in this forum: http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/27904/96488.aspx#96488

I hope it helps someone in the future.

p.s. I believe I cannot propose my own solution as answer so would appreciate it if someone else would.  Thank you.

dms

• Proposed as answer by dms.WebDev Monday, March 17, 2014 7:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dms.WebDev Monday, March 17, 2014 7:06 PM
    • Edited by dms.WebDev Monday, March 17, 2014 7:07 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 11:12 PM