none
Best way to display links to pdf's in website? RRS feed

• Question

• First of all thanks to all who have helped me along the way of learning this very cool world.

I am trying to create a website that displays static pdf documents to about 250 users. This will be a place they can come to view info that they would normally get via paper and lose...I will have a menu built according to the folder structure i place these docs in. What is the best way to style the links to these docs? I would like to be able to click the "Procedures" button and be taken to a page that looks like every other page except it has the links displayed and well organized. Does anyone have some suggestions of what I ought to be doing to acheive this? Please ask me if I need to provide more info.

Thanks again.

Monday, October 11, 2010 10:39 PM

Answers

• I would think it would just be a page full of links like lots of websites have. Maybe 2 or three columns in one DIV, possibly with a category heading above them--your call.

You could just make a new page from the DWT and have columns of links organized in natural groups...

<p><a href="docs/winter-2010.pdf">Winter 2010 Newsletter</a><br />
    (PDF, 11 MB)</p>

(I always, as a courtesy to visitors, let them know how big the file is so that they don't curse the website when they click on a huge one. That may not be a concern of your if you have a captive audience. The links, in paragraphs, will be spaced, but the size of the file will be snuggled right underneath with no space.)

You could then use Headers to separate the sections by topic, whether across the top or running down inside the columns (or both).

Is that what you mean?

Silence is Golden. Duct tape is Silver.
    • Marked as answer by Lugnut2010 Friday, October 15, 2010 5:30 PM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 10:57 PM

All replies

• I would think it would just be a page full of links like lots of websites have. Maybe 2 or three columns in one DIV, possibly with a category heading above them--your call.

You could just make a new page from the DWT and have columns of links organized in natural groups...

<p><a href="docs/winter-2010.pdf">Winter 2010 Newsletter</a><br />
    (PDF, 11 MB)</p>

(I always, as a courtesy to visitors, let them know how big the file is so that they don't curse the website when they click on a huge one. That may not be a concern of your if you have a captive audience. The links, in paragraphs, will be spaced, but the size of the file will be snuggled right underneath with no space.)

You could then use Headers to separate the sections by topic, whether across the top or running down inside the columns (or both).

Is that what you mean?

Silence is Golden. Duct tape is Silver.
    • Marked as answer by Lugnut2010 Friday, October 15, 2010 5:30 PM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 10:57 PM
  • You can generate pdf and other icons based on the file extension. I show how in this thread http://expressionwebforum.com/index.php/topic,33.0.html 
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Monday, October 11, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Both answers are very helpful, thank you.

Bill,

when you say 2 or 3 columns in a div, what exactly do you mean? using some sort of table or grid? or just using <p> tags within the divs and position them with css?

Would you use a DWT or master page?(This is an asp.net site) to create the pages?

Thanks again...

Friday, October 15, 2010 4:38 PM
  • If you're displaying row/column-oriented information, that is the perfect, and semantic, application for a table. That is exactly what tables are meant for, and in that use they are perfectly acceptable, or rather, recommended.  ;-)

As for your other question, without knowing more about the site it is difficult to answer. However, it should be noted that DWTs and ASP.NET master pages are not a good mix. If you're using ASP.NET, the appropriate templating technology would be ASP.NET master pages.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:26 PM