none
Making a desktop application to act like link between a SQL database and a robotcell.

Question

• Hey, for a school project I am going to make a program who can receive data from a testing station (PLS) inside a robot cell, take these test results and store them in a MS SQL database. I have very little experience with this sort of stuff, so I do not know where to start.

I have sort of understood that it is possible to make an application like the one I want in Visual studio. However, I do not understand what the end product would look like. Will the end product just be a program running in the background doing what it should do? Is it something running on the server? Is it a program with a UI? I have some problems visualizing what the end product should look like. 

I have been in touch with an expert who is helping me, and he proposed to use table adapters. To provide communication with the database.  I have tried googling for solutions and have looked at some things, like LINQ to SQL for example. But, I don’t fully understand where I should start this sort of thing. 
    Any tips on where I should start?

I really appreciate any help.

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Vegdji,

Since Our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual Studio tools.

According to your description, it seems like the your question is about receiving data from SQL database.

For this kind of question, I suggest you could post your thread to the ASO.NET forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Vegdji,

Since Our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual Studio tools.

According to your description, it seems like the your question is about receiving data from SQL database.

For this kind of question, I suggest you could post your thread to the ASO.NET forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Ok I will do that.

Thank you.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:53 AM