'Desktop App' vs. 'Metro App', particularly as it pertains to WoA

General discussion

• What's the definition of a 'Desktop App' and the definition of 'Metro App' as it pertains to WoA?

I've read that only *Metro* apps can be developed for ARM. Since WoA can only download apps from the Windows Store, and since certification guidelines say "You must use only the Metro style APIs" it looks like you cannot use the APIs in WinRT that are marked "Desktop only" on any ARM architecture.

But there is a confirmed desktop on ARM tablets, and WinRT is full of APIs that marked "Desktop only" that are extremely useful.

Can developers use APIs marked as "Desktop only" on ARM tablets and write/compile programs for the Desktop on ARM?

(sidebar:  It strikes me as peculiar that Microsoft would even create a desktop on ARM tablets if we couldn't program for it)

Monday, June 25, 2012 11:14 PM

All replies

• Considering that even on Intel tablets, your published apps cannot use desktop APIs, I would think it's extremely unlikely that you'd be able to call into unsupported desktop API on WOA.

http://blog.voidnish.com

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:32 AM
  • That still begs the question:  what is a "desktop API"/"desktop application" in the context of Windows 8 and where can it be used/not used? 

Is a "desktop app" an application that runs on the desktop of Windows 8?  ... or something else?

For example:

1. GetFramePointerShape is only available to "Desktop apps", but it's new to Windows 8.  Was this API built to never be used?  If I were to take your comment above literally that would seem to be the case, but I doubt that it is.
    2. Display Request applies to Metro style apps only.  Does that mean that it cannot be run in WoA desktop?  I suspect that is the case.

To take this all one step further, are third-party developers allowed to develop for the desktop on WoA?  Some sources say no, only Microsoft is allowed to create applications for the WoA desktop, but I can't see confirmation from Microsoft on that and it strikes me as surprising that they'd open up all of the APIs, but not let us develop on the desktop.

All of this is to say that I still don't understand what the definition of "desktop app" is on Windows 8, and whether or not desktop apps that use WinRT will be allowed to deploy on WoA.  Is there any definitive guidance from Microsoft on this anywhere?

• Edited by Sir Scrump Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:56 AM
  • At least if you can get the compiler work for ARM Desktop, but

"Error 1 error MSB8022: Compiling Desktop applications for the ARM platform is not supported. "

C++ DX11

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:29 AM