none
How to add an mpp file to project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I must miss something here. How can I import an exisiting mpp file into Project Server 2010? I have checked but cant find an "import project to enterpise" wizard anymore. As a workaround I have simply opened the mpp file and manually replaced the local resources with global resources with a team builder. Is this how you do this now?

Thanks for your help

Marc Soester [MVP]

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Marc,

I stumbled upon it by accident this morning, so it was fresh in my mind :) 

1. Make sure your connected to your Project Server via the client

2. Open your local Project you want to import in the client

3. Select Share > Publish to Project Server in the backstage

On the right hand side of the backstage  there will be an option called 'Save Without Publishing', just below the Save As in that group will be a checkbox called 'Use Import Wizard'.  Click on Save As and the wizard starts. 

Hope this helps,

Alex. 

Alex Burton www.epmsource.com
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Marc,

I stumbled upon it by accident this morning, so it was fresh in my mind :) 

1. Make sure your connected to your Project Server via the client

2. Open your local Project you want to import in the client

3. Select Share > Publish to Project Server in the backstage

On the right hand side of the backstage  there will be an option called 'Save Without Publishing', just below the Save As in that group will be a checkbox called 'Use Import Wizard'.  Click on Save As and the wizard starts. 

Hope this helps,

Alex. 

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I was happy to read your description since I didn't like the idea to add the command to the ribbon on each client. But I can't find it? My 'Share Project Progress' is greyed out. Should there be a different one?

Thanks in advance!
    Barbara 

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

That's strange.  I went and tested the steps above in the Microsoft hosted demo image and managed to get the import wizard to kick off.

You are choosing the 'Share' tab on the backstage and not the Info Tab? I only say this because the Share tab doesn't have a 'Share Project Progress' option, whereas the info tab does.

Alex.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Hi ALex,

you got it, I used Info tab. But that was most close to what you describe since I have no share tab (I thought you could have shorten your text a little bit).

With all posts regarding version differences: which one are you using? Mine is RC.

Thanks
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

In this forum, I am referencing the beta as it's the only publicly available build. 

RC issues / queries should be via connect. 

Alex. 

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:11 AM
  • OK, if you are using a different version, I am fine and can stop searching.

Thanks
    Barbara

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Alex:

All versions of 2010 are welcome here. Now if only everyone would specify which build they have! I guess we have as good a chance of that happening as we do getting people to tell us whate version they're using in the news groups. Sigh.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Unfortunately, both Import Resource and Import Project functions seem to have been left out of the interface in the RC. There is no way of invoking either of these from the Project Client without adding the commands to a ribbon or the Quick Access menu. The Import Resources to Enterprise option is available on the Resource ribbon in Project Web App.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:23 PM
  • I came across this thread when trying to find how to import existing mpp file to project server 2010.  I am adding more to this thread in case this might help someone. 

In order to import existing project, you would need to add "import project to enterprise" button on the ribbon:

1 - File -> Options

2 - Select Customize Ribbon and in the main tabs section (tree view on the right)

3 - Here you can choose to add the button to new tab or place it on existing tab.  To create new tab, click "New Tab".  To place in existing tab, select one of items in the tree view (tab) and click "New Group".  You can choose to rename "New Tab" and/or "New Group" as appropriate.

4 - From choose commands drop down list, select "All Commands" (tree view on the left).  Find "Import Project to Enterprise" and click "Add" to add the button to the selected ribbon (tab/group).  click "OK"

This will add the appropriate button on the ribbon.  Clicking the "Import Project to Enterprise" button will launch the wizard.

Happy Coding!

kashif

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:25 PM