Make windows 8 application compatible with win XP RRS feed

• Question

• i have made an application in vb.net in windows 8 environment. But its not compatible with win xp

How can  I make the application identify the OS platform and to make it work with it.

rootkit123

Sunday, May 26, 2013 11:13 AM

Answers

• If you made a VB Windows Forms app, it is probably using .NET Framework 4.5.

.NET 4.5 cannot be installed on Windows XP, so you need to retarget your app to use .NET Framework 4.0 or earlier.

Open your solution in VS 2012, then select Project->(your project name) Properties...

Make sure the Application tab is selected, then find the Target Framework: dropdown list. Drop the list down and select an older version (4.0 or older) that can be installed on Windows XP.

Save all files in the project and rebuild.

Then, close VS and reopen. Your project now uses the older .NET Framework version you chose.

• Proposed as answer by Frank L. Smith Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by rebacca M Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:50 PM
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:18 PM

All replies

• Can you give a little bit more information. You mean HTML5?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/36cfcded-06ea-4163-9c82-1bf35c510c6d

Success
    Cor

Sunday, May 26, 2013 11:32 AM
  • no...i am working on VS 2012 and making a s/w in vb.net...

its not a specific windows 8 app with metro UI that u are thinking... so i want to transport my program to be compatible with XP too

rootkit123

Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:38 PM
  • Then you need to find why it is not compatible.

- have you created the application targeting 64 bits and the XP machine is not

- Have you used a framework not installed on the XP machine

- Have you used some function that are not supported by XP 

- ???

What is the error ???

Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:45 PM
  • If you made a VB Windows Forms app, it is probably using .NET Framework 4.5.

.NET 4.5 cannot be installed on Windows XP, so you need to retarget your app to use .NET Framework 4.0 or earlier.

Open your solution in VS 2012, then select Project->(your project name) Properties...

Make sure the Application tab is selected, then find the Target Framework: dropdown list. Drop the list down and select an older version (4.0 or older) that can be installed on Windows XP.

Save all files in the project and rebuild.

Then, close VS and reopen. Your project now uses the older .NET Framework version you chose.

• Proposed as answer by Frank L. Smith Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by rebacca M Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:50 PM
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:18 PM
  • pvdg42.. thanx for the ans... this was what i was looking for

rootkit123

Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:51 PM