WinFX Browser Applications and WPF/E? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm confused as to how WPF/E (Windows Presentation Foundation Everywhere) relates to WinFX Browser applications. As I understand it WPF/E is supposed to deliver a subset of XAML (and the .NET framework?) in the form of a plugin to non-ms browsers. And this is supposed to be accessed programmatically through JavaScript?

So will there ever be a browser plugin that allows full WinFX Browser Applications in non-ms browsers?

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:01 PM

Answers

• i spoke with joe stegman at MIX.  here's the scoop.

WPF/E will be a subset of the full WPF.  what that subset contains is not finalized yet, but they are targeting around 2MB runtime.  since WPF/E is aimed at browser apps you can imagine which features will get left out.

with WPF/E, you can use JavaScript to communicate with the WPF portions of your page.  on windows, you can use other languages such as C# or VB.NET.  there will be a set of base class libraries that your code can use for cross-platform functionality..  these BCLs will be different from the .NET framework, obviously, because that does not exist on other platforms.

on windows platforms you will have access to the .NET framework, so if you want to use WPF/E on windows only, you can use it.  an example of such usage is if you want to ship a minimal runtime but you know the user has .NET 1.1 installed, you can minimize what you have to deploy.

on windows mobile you have .NET compact framework.

the example app he showed hooked up WPF content on a web page, much like you would do in flash. WPF events were handled by calling into JavaScript.  the script itself uses getElementById() to retrieve the WPF control, and the WPF control exposes its own getElementById() to retrieve WPF elements.

hope that helps.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:54 PM

All replies

• The day you see pigs flying outside your window, it will probably happen.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:48 AM
  • The WPF/E guys seem to be Joe Stegman and Mike Harsh.

See this:- http://blogs.msdn.com/mharsh/archive/2006/03/23/559106.aspx WPF/E running in Firefox!

and this http://blogs.msdn.com/jstegman/

Seems it will also run on a Mac!

HTH

Michael

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:03 PM
  • My understanding is that both WPF/E and WPF apps can run in the browser. I interviewed Microsoft on this subject:

http://www.itwriting.com/wpfe.php

and was told that there are pros and cons to both approaches. The con with WPF being that it is less accessible to Javascript running in the browser. That doesn't mean inaccessible; but that it would be harder to integrate with other stuff on the page. Would welcome further clarification.

Tim

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:08 PM
  • i spoke with joe stegman at MIX.  here's the scoop.

WPF/E will be a subset of the full WPF.  what that subset contains is not finalized yet, but they are targeting around 2MB runtime.  since WPF/E is aimed at browser apps you can imagine which features will get left out.

with WPF/E, you can use JavaScript to communicate with the WPF portions of your page.  on windows, you can use other languages such as C# or VB.NET.  there will be a set of base class libraries that your code can use for cross-platform functionality..  these BCLs will be different from the .NET framework, obviously, because that does not exist on other platforms.

on windows platforms you will have access to the .NET framework, so if you want to use WPF/E on windows only, you can use it.  an example of such usage is if you want to ship a minimal runtime but you know the user has .NET 1.1 installed, you can minimize what you have to deploy.

on windows mobile you have .NET compact framework.

the example app he showed hooked up WPF content on a web page, much like you would do in flash. WPF events were handled by calling into JavaScript.  the script itself uses getElementById() to retrieve the WPF control, and the WPF control exposes its own getElementById() to retrieve WPF elements.

hope that helps.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:54 PM