[UWP]Why are UWP apps so SLOW?!? RRS feed

• Question

• From my experience it seems that practically ALL UWP apps are incredibly slow. As I recall, one of the selling points for UWP was that the apps would be compiled to native code and run faster. Well, I can't get my UWP apps to run anywhere near as fast as their WPF or even Silverlight cousins.  Of course, it's easy enough simply to blame me or my code, but the shining example I want to focus on is a trivial one that we can all compare:  Solitaire.  Microsoft's UWP implementation of Solitaire is disgraceful.  I think it's safe to say that it is several orders of magnitude slower than previous versions.  Previous versions were always very snappy.  The UWP app can be painfully slow and unresponsive, relatively speaking, and that's on much better hardware!  The graphics certainly don't explain the difference.  What gives?

The reason this is such a pain-point for me right now is that I have a UWP app ready to go.  It's a port from Silverlight.  My client won't accept it because it's just too slow.  I've profiled it to death and can't figure out how to speed it up significantly.  Needless to say, I'm very disappointed.

I realize this is all very vague, but I don't even know where to start or where to go next.

Brad.

• Edited by Barry Wang Friday, December 23, 2016 7:47 AM title tag
    Monday, December 5, 2016 8:36 AM

All replies

• I don't know about you, but my app is as fast as most directx games...
    Monday, December 5, 2016 8:41 AM
  • Your mileage may vary. :-)

I did speak to a number of other people who agreed before posting.  There certainly seems to be consensus around our office.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:52 AM
  • it depends really. On desktops I haven't seen any problems with performance.

On mobile you have to be careful about upfront loading of large data. Usually, if you optimize it well on mobile it will be really easy to obtain blazing fast performance on desktop.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 9:01 AM