Visual Studio 2010 causes blue screen crashes RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Visual Studio 2010 and have had problems with blue screen crashes since I began using it. At first, I had installed Ultimate and it would crash every time that I used the mouse scroll whell (Logitech Cordless). I uninstalled Ultimate and then installed Pro. I spent probably 5-8 hours working in it last week without problems, but today it crashed again. While other programs occasionally crash, they don't ever blue screen. This happens only with VS 2010, not 2008.

Are there known issues? I have Windows Update set to download updates, so I should be up to date with any patches.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi luxetveritas27,

What is your Windows version?

Most probably the cause of blue screen was due to some bad-implemented driver issue, or those programs which could touch into the Windows in the low level.

Can you please try rebooting the machine into Safemode or Clean boot to see the problem persists?

Thanks.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Friday, September 17, 2010 7:51 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:35 AM
  • If it is in Windows XP box, there is a known case can sometimes result in a blue screen crash:

Visual Studio 2010 applies WPF-based shell to render the UI. Graphic issues in WPF applications are most commonly caused by a faulty graphics card or display driver.

To resolve graphic issues in WPF applications, there are several steps that you can perform. These steps include installing the most recent version of the .NET Framework and operating system service packs, installing the most up-to-date drivers for your graphics card, using a different graphics card or a graphics card from a different vendor, disabling hardware acceleration.

As for Graphics Rendering Registry Settings information, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970912.aspx

Other helpful reference, see Guidelines for troubleshooting graphic issues in WPF applications: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963021

HTH.

Figo Fei

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi luxetveritas27,

What is your Windows version?

Most probably the cause of blue screen was due to some bad-implemented driver issue, or those programs which could touch into the Windows in the low level.

Can you please try rebooting the machine into Safemode or Clean boot to see the problem persists?

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:35 AM
  • If it is in Windows XP box, there is a known case can sometimes result in a blue screen crash:

Visual Studio 2010 applies WPF-based shell to render the UI. Graphic issues in WPF applications are most commonly caused by a faulty graphics card or display driver.

To resolve graphic issues in WPF applications, there are several steps that you can perform. These steps include installing the most recent version of the .NET Framework and operating system service packs, installing the most up-to-date drivers for your graphics card, using a different graphics card or a graphics card from a different vendor, disabling hardware acceleration.

As for Graphics Rendering Registry Settings information, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970912.aspx

Other helpful reference, see Guidelines for troubleshooting graphic issues in WPF applications: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963021

HTH.

Figo Fei

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:50 AM