Windows Service using .Net 5 Not Available RRS feed

• Question

• In the latest preview version of Visual Studio as of this writing (16.9 Preview 1), one can create .Net 5 applications but are not able to create a Windows Service using .Net 5; only .Net 4.72. 

Is there a roadmap to when one would able to create a .Net 5 Windows service?

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)

Saturday, November 28, 2020 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi ImegaMan,

Thank you for posting here.

I think you may be able to get better support and help in Github.

dotnet / core

Best Regards,

Timon

"Visual C#" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A ! We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A ! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, November 30, 2020 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hello,

That is correct, no .NET 5 server currently available. You can always ask Microsoft from the IDE feedback link in VS2019.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

Check out:  the new Microsoft Q&A forums

Sunday, November 29, 2020 12:11 AM
  • > ask Microsoft from the IDE feedback link in VS2019.

I appreciate the answer, but my concern is not necessarily directed towards the IDE, (though my question did appear to lean that way...) and if I could rewrite the question it would be something like  "Is it even possible to create a .Net 5 windows Service?"...?

If I could make a service sans an IDE wizard that is what I seek. Because at this time and I have been unable to find documentation which suggests it is possible.

----
    As an aside back when I was a C#/.Net MVP, one could use the `Microsoft Connect` to put in a question of that sort.... Of course back then as an MVP I could ask the .Net Team directly such as when I reached out to Andrew Pardoe who was head of the CLR team. One such ocurrence was when I asked the CLR team about an interaction when .Net 4 wasn't handling double memory placement in the Large Object Heap:

Tribal Knowledge: Large Object Heap and Double Arrays in .Net 

Sunday, November 29, 2020 7:48 PM
  • "Is it even possible to create a .Net 5 windows Service?"...? NO at the present time and don't see this changing any time in the near future as there is nothing mentioned in the docs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

Check out:  the new Microsoft Q&A forums

Sunday, November 29, 2020 9:27 PM
  • > NO at the present time and don't see this changing ...

So to be clear, you do not see this changing or there is a fundamental reason why .Net 5 cannot be a Windows Service?

So who can answer this question or what forum does the CLR team inhabit so this question can get an answer?

-Thanks

• Edited by OmegaMan Sunday, November 29, 2020 9:57 PM
    Sunday, November 29, 2020 9:55 PM
  • Hi ImegaMan,

Thank you for posting here.

I think you may be able to get better support and help in Github.

dotnet / core

Best Regards,

Timon

"Visual C#" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A ! We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A ! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, November 30, 2020 2:40 AM
  • I have created an issue on the donet / core forum:

Windows Service .Net 5 · Issue #5677 · dotnet/core (github.com)

-Thanks

• Edited by OmegaMan Monday, November 30, 2020 2:28 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2020 2:27 PM