none
Building Windows and Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...

I am not sure that this is the appropriate place to ask this question.

Anyway...

I am just curious to know what did Microsoft use to build Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Visual Studio. Did they use Some common languages such as VB, C#, C++...? If yes which language? Did they use other tools not targeted to public?

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:33 AM

Answers

• As it can be imagined, an Operating System needs a lot of low-level interaction and so C, C++ are the best choice.

So Windows is written using these. Visual Studio is also developed using these languages and then after C# development, Microsoft used C# and WPF in development of latest VS releasese like VS 2010.

Microsoft's requirements could be unique and so they have a lot of internal tools and frameworks which are not accessible to public.

But mainstream development work for the above and many other tools is done using C, C++ only. Hope this answers your question.

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com

• Marked as answer by BGQQ Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:25 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:04 PM
  • According to what I know, Windows is almost entirely written in C/C++; some areas of code are written in Assembly language. There could be also some C# code, as long as the .NET Framework is getting more and more integrated in the operating system.
    I presume that Microsoft uses Visual Studio, but it could be some "special" version equipped with some tools specifically designed and optimized to support the development of an operating system.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:57 PM

All replies

• According to what I know, Windows is almost entirely written in C/C++; some areas of code are written in Assembly language. There could be also some C# code, as long as the .NET Framework is getting more and more integrated in the operating system.
    I presume that Microsoft uses Visual Studio, but it could be some "special" version equipped with some tools specifically designed and optimized to support the development of an operating system.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:57 PM
  • As it can be imagined, an Operating System needs a lot of low-level interaction and so C, C++ are the best choice.

So Windows is written using these. Visual Studio is also developed using these languages and then after C# development, Microsoft used C# and WPF in development of latest VS releasese like VS 2010.

Microsoft's requirements could be unique and so they have a lot of internal tools and frameworks which are not accessible to public.

But mainstream development work for the above and many other tools is done using C, C++ only. Hope this answers your question.

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Thank you very much
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:26 PM