none
Lookalike Heading 1/2/3 styles minus the numbers and outline levels, automatically in a Style Based Numbering 2010 doc RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document all set up in accordance with Style Based Numbering, and have used it (and versions of it) successfully since Word 2003.

I'm in a setting where the document will be flung far and wide, and at times reviewed and edited by people of varying skills.  One thing I want, are "lookalike" styles for Heading 1/2/3, called for example, "Heading 1-Nonum", that will resemble the real Heading 1 in appearance, minus the numbering and minus the outline levels, so the paragraph won't show in the TOC.

I know I can position the pointer at the start of a Heading 1/2/3 line and backspace to make the number go away, but that doesn't make the Outline Level of the paragraph go away.  I can also recreate the 3 styles manually or semi-automatically with Paste Special, but what I'm wondering is if there's a way to base the majority of the style settings on Heading 1/2/3 automatically (so they would stay in sync long term, should the Heading 1/2/3 styles change or be changed), except for the numbering and the outline level

• Edited by johnqflorida Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:56 AM fixed typo
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:53 AM

Answers

• Click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Styles group on the Home tab of the ribbon.

Click the New Style button in the lower left corner of the Styles task pane.

Enter Heading 1 Nonum as name.

Specify that the style is based on Heading 1.

Specify Normal as follow-up style.

Click Format > Paragraph... and set the Outline level to Body Text, then click OK.

Click Format > Numbering..., select None and click OK.

If you want to add the style to the document template, select "New documents based on this template".

Click OK.

Repeat to create Heading 2 Nonum and Heading 3 Nonum styles.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by johnqflorida Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:52 PM
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:14 PM

All replies

• Click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Styles group on the Home tab of the ribbon.

Click the New Style button in the lower left corner of the Styles task pane.

Enter Heading 1 Nonum as name.

Specify that the style is based on Heading 1.

Specify Normal as follow-up style.

Click Format > Paragraph... and set the Outline level to Body Text, then click OK.

Click Format > Numbering..., select None and click OK.

If you want to add the style to the document template, select "New documents based on this template".

Click OK.

Repeat to create Heading 2 Nonum and Heading 3 Nonum styles.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by johnqflorida Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:52 PM
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Yep, that did it!  I went astray somewhere along the line earlier, and the Outline Level setting had been grayed out.  I may have been (at the time) trying to update a specific paragraph with the settings, rather than going through the New-Style approach.

Thanks, and marked as answered!

Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:52 PM
  • On 2012-04-07 14:52, johnqflorida wrote:

Yep, that did it!  I went astray somewhere along the line earlier, and the Outline Level setting had been grayed out.  I may have been (at the time) trying to update a specific paragraph with the settings, rather than going through the New-Style approach.

Your analysis is correct: for a paragraph that has a built-in heading applied to it, you can't modify the "Outline level" setting, which means you can't depend on the update style command.

Instead, you will have to modify the style explicitly (via the Modify Style dialog box).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, April 7, 2012 7:17 PM