Multi Kinect v2 (Unity) RRS feed

• Question

• I get a high-spec PC, with 2 USB3 hub. I want to develop an application with 2 Kinect v2, but i don't know how to connect the second kinect. Is there anyway to do that? using official SDK or other SDK? I just need the depth maps
    Monday, July 27, 2015 3:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There is a limit of one Kinect v2 sensor per PC. To utilize multiple Kinect v2 sensors in a single application, you will need to network multiple PCs.  I recommend taking a look at the RoomAlive toolkit.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2015/04/30/roomalive-toolkit-unveiled-at-build-2015.aspx

Thanks,

David

Monday, July 27, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Just curious, if you had a virtual machine running Windows 8.1 and 2 physical Kinect 2s, could you "connect" (the VM command where a device is assigned to the VM exclusively and is no longer visible to the host machine) one of them to the VM and use both simultaneously?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Haven't tried myself but I suspect the DirectX11 requirement may be a problem for most (if not all) VM software.

But by al means try and let us know!

Brekel

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

I am working for Multi-Kinect ,but there came some problem.Could please send me someTutorial about how to make Multi-kinect working together on network of how Multi-kinect tracking the skeletal .

Thanks,

Songbin

Monday, March 21, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Dear David,

I can see that most of these questions are dated in 2015...

I have seen up to 4 scanners being used at once with a program called KScan3D, which is freeware and works wonderfully with one scanner...

Please take a look here: 

I have seen KScan3D with 4 Kinect V2 Sensors running at once, with a vertical rig that I am planning on duplicating, as frugally as possible, click here for their comprehensive and easy to follow instructions to achieve this: http://manual.kscan3d.com/1.0/index.php/Using_Multiple_Sensors

So, I feel sure that it is possible, could you provide me with any information that would allow me to do the same?

Please advise, I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Here is a rather long request I've made elsewhere, but it is certainly pertinent to this (aside from the System Specs, you may want to stop reading my long diatribe, but I am sure you'll get the gist!!!

eMail Request to ReconstructME - a 3D Scanning platform:

Dear Sir / Madam,
    I can't seem to get the program to recognize my Kinect V2 for xBox One Sensors...
    I am running an ASUS ROG STRIX Laptop with an 7 gen, i7 7700HQ Processor @2.8ghz, 32GB DDR4 1400mhz RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, with 8GB GDDR5 VRAM, 15.6" (16:9) LED backlit FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 72% NTSC with G-Sync, C: Drive is a 256GB SATA3 SSD and a 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD for Data, 1 x USB 3.1 TYPE C port(s), 3 x USB 3.0 port(s), 1 x mini Display Port, HDMI, all WiFi from AC down, GB Ethernet, etc. and it's running Windows 10 Home...

I actually have 2 of the Kinects, both of which have an xBox Kinect Adapter for xBox One S and Windows 10 PC...
    I have seen KScan3D with 4 Kinect V2 Sensors running at once, with a vertical rig that I am planning on duplicating, as frugally as possible, click here for their comprehensive and easy to follow instructions to achieve this: http://manual.kscan3d.com/1.0/index.php/Using_Multiple_Sensors
    You'll notice they only require USB 2.0 Ports and and in their Troubleshooting Section on Multi Sensors, they only talk about having enough POWERED Ports that don't step on each-other in any manner. 

So, as I have started with only 2 Sensors to get started, I am using one sensor on either side in an USB 3.0 Port (and eventually expect to use the 3 x 3.0 USB Ports and I have an IOGEAR HUB-C +, USB-C to 4-Port USB-A Hub with Power (Part#GUH3C24P) that has 4 USB 3.1 Ports on it (But I would only use one), to reach the 4 Sensor Setup, as they have).

I am eager to try your Software and I would purchase it if I could overcome this issue. I have all the items (Turntable with180lb. capacity, a Chroma Key in Green, White and Black, this Laptop and even all 4 of the Mounts for the Scanners I have, and the last thing I need is to build the Rig with some simple hardware from Home Depot in the forms of a Stable Pole w/ Base and some Replacement Bolts and Nuts, as the mounts I have purchased are actually for Hunting Tree Cams (https://www.amazon.com/HME-Products-Better-Camera-Holder/dp/B008H7W4SY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504076701&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=home+products+better+trail+camera+holder)...

Though it sounds complicated, if you look at the links, you'll see it's quite ingenious. The one thing that I haven't decided upon is the type of Pole with a Base, and I may just use a Floor to Ceiling Shoe Stand from Home Depot without any baskets (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Floor-to-Ceiling-Silver-Shoe-Tree-with-6-Carousels-and-1-Basket-2197-1/203172868?keyword=Floor+to+Ceiling+Silver+Shoe+Tree+with+6-Carousels+and+1-Basket). Then I can follow their instructions for spacing and aiming. 

I see in your Pricing page that the $179 Version would be preferred, if you can advise me that it will work with the Multi Scanner Rig, but also see that the SDK Version opens everything up - my fingers are certainly crossed that the $179 Version is capable of using Multiple Scanners!!!

Thanks for your time and patience in reading this request, I will eagerly await your response and will be thrilled if all this is possible!!!

Well, David, if you read all of that I appreciate your time and effort, I am very much hoping that the issue of Multiple Kinects on One Machine is now possible and with your guidance, I will be able to achieve my goal of making the same 4 Scanner Rig that KScan3D Uses!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

David Shorin

microsoft@shorin.net or 3d@shorin.net

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:21 AM
  • The KScan3D link you provide is for the older Kinect v1 (XBox360), with that you can use multiple sensors on a single computer, given you have enough USB 2.0 lanes.

For the newer Kinect v2 (XBox One) this is not possible due to SDK/driver, USB3 bandwidth restrictions and the fact that IR > Depth processing is handled on the GPU.

Brekel

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:49 AM
  • It should be *possible* through a distributed system over multiple machines through network. Definitely not for real-time capture though.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Real time capture of depth only is possible - over uncontested Gbit Ethernet you can transfer depth frame in ~4ms

Color + Depth is much more tricky because you either spend too much time compressing the data or transferring them (over 1Gbit - you actually can't transfer 30 1920*1080 YUY2 color frames within a second - edit: if we take protocol overhead into consideration) 10Gbit solves also this issue.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:57 AM