none
$logs container and $Metrics* table prevent storage account deletion

Question

• I have as storage account that can not be deleted.  It DOES NOT have blobs with active leases, VHDs or Disks so please don't go there.  The only objects in the account are a blob container named $logs and several metrics tables (such as $MetricsCapacityBlob) that were created months ago when I briefly enabled diagnostics on the storage account.  Now, even though Diagnostics has long been DISABLED, the container and the tables still exist and consequently I can not delete the storage account or the resource group.  I've tried deleting from the Portal, PowerShell, Storage Explorer and storage API and all fail with some form of "insufficient permissions" message.  I assume that the storage account owner is not able to delete the container or files with the $ prefix.  I also recently changed the retention policy to 1 day with the hope that the container and table would be deleted automatically but several days have passed and they still exist.  
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:53 PM

All replies

• If you are having the ‘Storage Account Owner’ access, you should be able to delete the account (see this). If indeed your account has ‘Storage Account Owner’ access, please open a support ticket so that our engineering team can troubleshoot the issue. This type of issue are usually caused by Disks when there is still a lease on a disk or the blob that is associated with the disk. However, you have claimed that it does not have disks/blobs with active leases.

Monday, April 17, 2017 2:51 AM
  • I verified that I DO have owner access on the SA and RG.  However, I can't delete the $logs because of insufficient permissions and can't delete the SA because artifacts in use.  I understand about the disks but there are no disks of any sort.  Opening a support ticket requires a paid support plan which i do not have.  
    Monday, April 17, 2017 5:59 PM
  • We would request you to create a Technical Support Ticket as our engineers would need to work with you on the issue and would require more details like your subscription id on the issue. This would be beyond the purview of the Forums Support.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:10 AM