Active Directory Look Up Statigies RRS feed

• Question

• User-299966805 posted

I'm fairly new to active directory. I have a database that relies on the Unique Identifier EmployeeId. My first plan was to do a lookup for every single name and email address. However I don't think this is good.

this is becoming a mess how I have to do add custom controls. Should I create a database of all the 2000 AD users and do a lookup based on that table within my custom appliction database.

I was thinking this would be easier if I just run a task to update the database 1x or 2x a day. Rather then query the AD database every single time. Some lookups take a long time.

There must be a better way of doing this.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:48 PM

All replies

• User1521932406 posted

hmm interesting scenario, You you could try writing out XML files and storing them in APPLICATION CACHE and query those... will speed up some of the processes

Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:55 AM
  • User-2009597737 posted

A better way depends on the requirement, I have had both the scenarios working. My AD tree is 50000+. You could do real time AD query or populate a DB of user via console apps and schedule it to run a few times. Some apps do not mind a day old data  and some need realtime check.Ours is a university and we have students/faculty/guests etc coming in all the time.  The applications that read the DB tells users, a turnaround of 1 day. If you query based on the SamAccountName, you should be able to get back the results fast enough.

Friday, September 4, 2009 3:53 PM