After cloning a SQL Server server I can't have permissions for anything else but logging in and basic queries RRS feed

• Question

• After cloning a SQL Server server I can't have permissions for anything else but logging in and basic queries

I was trying the procudere at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/rename-a-computer-that-hosts-a-stand-alone-instance-of-sql-server.

I cloned a server vhd from ServerA to ServerB, SQLServer in ServerB is still named ServerA\InstanceName, but the users that were able to access the server were ServerA\User1 and ServerA\User2 and in ServerB these don't exist. How can I give permissions to ServerB users and then be able to rename the server as explained above? By using ServerB\User1 or User2 I get:

Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_dropserver, Line 20 [Batch Start Line 0]

User does not have permission to perform this action.

Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_MSaddserver_internal, Line 34 [Batch Start Line 2]

Thanks a lot for your help!

Monday, September 4, 2017 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Tiago_Dias,

>> Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_dropserver, Line 20 [Batch Start Line 0]

According to this article, only members of sysadmin and setupadmin fixed server roles can execute the stored procedure sp_dropserver. So does ServerB\User1 and User 2 have sysadmin permissions? If not, and you don't have other sysadmin accounts, please refer to this blog to regain sysadmin access to SQL Server.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:53 AM