Query results window is cached ? RRS feed

• Question

• When you run a query, open the result in MS Excel, make changes to the work items, publish them and then run the query again from within VS, you get the same results as before the change and publish from MS Excel.
    It seems that the query is just not run because there is already an existing results window.
    How can i make sure that the query runs every time even if there was already a resuls window for that specific query ?
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:11 AM

Answers

• When you doubleclick on a query we check to see if that query is already in a opened query window. If so, we just move the focus there. That seems to be the reason why you are not seeing any updates. Rerunning query by clicking on run button does update the results, so does it solve your issue?

Thanks.

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:08 AM

All replies

• When query is refreshed we do clear the results and run query again. Is this not what you are seeing? If you try closing and opening results view, do you see right results? If not, pls give me repro steps to try.

Thanks

Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:48 PM
  • Steps for repro:
    - double click on a query --> results window is displayed
    - right-click on same query and select "Open in Microsoft Excel"
    - change some fields in Excel
    - publish changes
    - switch back to VS
    - double click on the query --> same results window as before changes in Excel is shown
    Results are OK if you select the results query window and then press the run button.
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:11 PM
  • When you doubleclick on a query we check to see if that query is already in a opened query window. If so, we just move the focus there. That seems to be the reason why you are not seeing any updates. Rerunning query by clicking on run button does update the results, so does it solve your issue?

Thanks.

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:08 AM
  • Yes this is a workaround, but I consider it a bug that the result window is not refreshed when already open and double-clicking on the query.  What the user sees  is completely out of sync with what's in the database and I think this is unacceptable !

Friday, September 15, 2006 9:12 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback. I'll track this issue in our db and hopefully this behavior will change.
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:38 AM
  • I have another situation in which a similar caching problem turns up. Maybe it is the same underlying problem, may be not. So I just outline the scenario.

- create and install a web service that sets the AreaPath field to a specified value whenever a new work item is created
    - create a query that shows all newly created work items (e.g.: Created Date > @Today-1) and insert AreaPath in the column-view
    - open this query in "Query view"
    - with the web service active, create a new work item and save it.
    - run the query --> the AreaPath still has its AreaPath set to the default value as if the webservice was not working
    - open and run the same query on another client than the one where the new work item was created --> this client shows the correct value for AreaPath.
    - switch back to 'creation'-client and close the tab that shows the new created work item
    - switch to the query view --> even without rerunning the query it now shows the correct value for AreaPath

This means that TE is somehow using the cached information of the new work item to display the results for the query (on the client where the work item was created)

Thanks

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:56 PM