Cannot Reproduce PushNotificationChannelManager.CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync Errors

Question

• We have written a Windows store app called Text Desk that allows users to send and receive text messages from their Windows 8 PC using an Android smart phone as a gateway.  A few of our customers are experiencing an issue at app startup related to the Windows push notification channel manager.  Specifically we have seen 2 different errors.

1. System.Exception: The notification platform is unable to retrieve the authentication credentials required to connect to the cloud notification service. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x803E011A)   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)   at TextDesk.App.<OnLaunched>d__0.MoveNext()
    2. System.Exception: The notification platform is unable to connect to the cloud notification service. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x803E011B)&#xD;
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#xD;
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#xD;
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()&#xD;
      at TextDesk.App.&lt;OnLaunched&gt;d__0.MoveNext()

Both errors are thrown from PushNotificationChannelManager.CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync().  We have searched for solutions to these errors and have found the following suggested solutions which have NOT allowed us to reproduce the error.

1. Run a network trace using Fiddler.  Obviously that won’t help because we can’t reproduce the error.
    2. Ensuring the IP Helper service is running.  In our testing we have permanently disabled this service and completely uninstalled Text Desk, rebooted, reinstalled and everything works fine without the service running.
    3. Ensuring the PC running Text Desk is “trusted”.  We have logged into our live.com account settings and clicked the “Remove all the trusted devices associated with my account”, rebooted, and still cannot reproduce either of those errors.  Windows 8 DOES prompt us to verify our account, etc.
    4. Ensuring Text Desk is not running on a virtual machine.  We haven’t tested this in house but our customers experiencing the issue claim they are not running Text Desk in a virtual machine.

These unexpected runtime exceptions are obviously affecting our app’s ratings in a negative way especially when it happens the first time a user purchases the app and tries to open it.  We are wondering how else we can diagnose this error without being able to reproduce the error at our office.  Text Desk has a built in logging mechanism that gives us full stack traces of these errors (as shown above) and the user has the option to automatically email those logs to us which we have in our possession.  The stack traces in the logs are simply not enough to help us.  We HAVE to figure out how to solve this issue ASAP.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hal Hunt

Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:30 AM

Answers

• Please open a support case for this issue. You'll get the traction you require for this problem.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Hal Hunt Friday, May 02, 2014 8:15 PM
    Friday, May 02, 2014 5:35 PM

All replies

• First, I want to say that I think that running machines without IPHelper running is an unsupported configuration, and presents other problems. I'm not sure exactly what those problems are.

Second, if the problem fails to occur simply with Fiddler running, I advise you to capture network traces using NetMon or Wireshark to look for issues.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Matt.  Again our biggest problem is that we cannot reproduce those exceptions no matter what we do and hence cannot come up with a fix or workaround.  So it doesn't matter what network monitoring tool we use or have.  Is there anyway you could find out specifically what conditions cause either of those exceptions?  That *may* require someone @ MS looking at the source code but that would be extremely helpful.  Please let us know if there is anything else we can provide to assist you.  Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated!

Hal Hunt

Monday, April 28, 2014 11:27 PM

• If anyone in the community knows how to identify what conditions cause either of the 2 exceptions noted above please let us know as soon as possible.  Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Hal Hunt Friday, May 02, 2014 5:26 PM
    Thursday, May 01, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Anyone?

Hal Hunt

Friday, May 02, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Please open a support case for this issue. You'll get the traction you require for this problem.

• Marked as answer by Hal Hunt Friday, May 02, 2014 8:15 PM
    Friday, May 02, 2014 5:35 PM