TFS 2013 Preview - GIT Build, Source Indexing

Question

• Is source indexing not available when GIT is used for version control?

Looking at the .pdb files generated when GIT is in use and they don't look as they contain any source access commands.

Monday, September 9, 2013 4:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Thanks for your post.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Hi Richard,

Yes, Source Indexing is available when GIT is used for Version Control in TFS2013.

Please refer to this MSDN article for more detailed information about Debugging with Symbols: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee416588(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Perhaps we are talking at cross-purposes here;

The article you link to is a generic overview of debugging with symbols, it doesn't mention source servers or TFS at all.

In TFS when TFSVC is used we have the option to automatically index the source files used in the build so the .pdb file is updated to contain the information as to how to retrieve the correct version of the file from source control rather than just containing a file system location.
    We can them turn on source server support in VS and debug with the correct version of the source code "magically" being retrieved from the version control system.

This automation of the indexing process is a 'killer' feature of TFS and the main reason why we want to use TFS.

But... Is this source indexing still available when GIT is used instead of TFSVC under TFS 2013?
    I can't find it documented anywhere ether way and my initial testing would seem to indicate that it isn't, but I would love to be corrected.

Cheers. 

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Just as I mentioned above, Source Indexing is available when GIT is used for Version Control in TFS2013. In the Process tab, go to 4.Publish Symbols. Please note that Source indexing is never performed for private builds.

See the following screenshot:

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:21 AM
  • The path to publish symbols is set correctly.

I am performing pretty much all the same steps as I would for a build with TFSVC which produces the expected results out of the box.

With GIT as the VC the .pdb files are being created and are installed to the symbol store however the .pdb files are not indexed.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Richard,

I am sorry but this feature is not yet available for Git-based builds. We have a user story for it but since we're already on RC of TFS 2013 and it's not there, it's possible this won't make it into this release. That's not a guarantee though... so fingers crossed! You can help us prioritize our work by submitting bugs at http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio and suggestions at http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/30925-team-foundation-server

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:23 PM