none
The rationale of allowing the user to see the reviews of only his region?

Question

• I am asking this question out of curiosity.  I asked an MSFT employee in charge of a group deeply involved in promoting app development last Saturday, but he does not have a clue.  He suggested me ask the question here.

Right now, a user can see only reviews of his region.  This means users from most countries do not see a single review of an app even if it has dozens of very helpful reviews.  Does anyone know the rationale of this design?

Hong

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:11 PM

All replies

• I am asking this question out of curiosity.  I asked an MSFT employee in charge of a group deeply involved in promoting app development last Saturday, but he does not have a clue.  He suggested me ask the question here.

Right now, a user can see only reviews of his region.  This means users from most countries do not see a single review of an app even if it has dozens of very helpful reviews.  Does anyone know the rationale of this design?

Hong

My guess, in some cases, is different regions speak different languages (or variants of languages - like u.s. English versus u.k. English), so keeping reviews confined keeps me from having to try to decode foreign languages (I still occasionally see Asian or Spanish languages here in reviews in America and dislike it).

-Rob

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:21 PM
  • The language issue can be easily addressed by a translation button which MSFT has more than adequate technologies to implementBing translator is not bad at all).  I know the translation may not be ideal sometimes.

At least allowing the user to see the ratings is beneficial.  Suppose your app has received dozens of genuine raving reviews with four or five stars primarily from the US, most Europeans, most of whom understand English without any problem, will not see a single rating to help them realize it is such a good app worth trying. 

Hong

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:35 PM
  • On the flip side, suppose your app is highly specific to a particular country, or claims to be localized but the translation is terrible (or worse, has content that may be objectionable or insulting to people of certain countries).  It would be a little misleading to advertise it's a 5-star app to someone who's in a country that, if there were ratings, would most definitely not consider it a 5-star app.

I'm not saying this is ideal, just likely part of the justification of it.

It would be nice if the smaller markets had an option to see ratings/reviews from the other regions, for sure. 

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:37 PM
  • That option may be something that everyone can accept.

Hong

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:11 PM