none
SAP - BAPI, RFC, IDOC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I was wondering if people that have worked on integration with SAP could help me out.

Where do you start when it comes to BAPIs and RFCs? Where is the documentation?

For example, I am looking for a way to query SAP for the existence of a customer based on theis social security number (or other uniqueness identifier).

I have been playing with the metadata discovery tool that the adapter pack provides through VS2005, but you have to know what you're looking for.

Any help appreciated.

Best regards,

Konstantinos

Friday, December 14, 2007 7:59 AM

Answers

• This is not covered in the SAP adapter documentation since the SAP adapter is not specific to any particular RFC/BAPI. It is agnostic to which BAPI/RFC you invoke. As mentioned above you do need to know what you are looking for. If you are using the BAPI view to explore (in the VS tool) you can look under that customer object and see what functions you can call. But for details such as which parameter should take what input, you would need to consult SAP documentation.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:20 PM
  • You can right click on your project and select Add Adpater service reference. You get the explorer search your RFC under the RFC section, add it and generate the proxies, SAPClientBinding.cs file will give you the list of parameters even specifies which are the optional.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:38 AM

All replies

•  

BAPIs and RFCs are the functions exposed by SAP, when it comes to the integration part, you have to know that particular BAPI or RFC. For example, if you want to get table data or want to query to the SAP table then you use RFC_READ_TABLE. Similarly if you want to know whether customer is existing, you need to know which RFC/BAPI has this info. May I know which tool are you using, are you talking about generating a proxy and playing around that.

regards,

Taruna

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

As I said I am testing the new SAP Adapter and the Visual Studio metadata discovery tool.

I understand what a BAPI is. What I'm saying is that I cannot find any documentation or tutorials on them.

For instance I know that BAPI_CUSTOMER_CREATEFROMDATA1 is used to create a new customer.

What fields are required, which fields are optional and for what reason? This is the kind of information I'm looking for.

Regards,

Konstantinos

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:53 PM
  • This is not covered in the SAP adapter documentation since the SAP adapter is not specific to any particular RFC/BAPI. It is agnostic to which BAPI/RFC you invoke. As mentioned above you do need to know what you are looking for. If you are using the BAPI view to explore (in the VS tool) you can look under that customer object and see what functions you can call. But for details such as which parameter should take what input, you would need to consult SAP documentation.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:20 PM
  • You can right click on your project and select Add Adpater service reference. You get the explorer search your RFC under the RFC section, add it and generate the proxies, SAPClientBinding.cs file will give you the list of parameters even specifies which are the optional.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:38 AM
  • Thank you.

I was looking into the metadata through BT and it wasn't very intuitive.

The RFCClient proxy makes it easier to understand the BAPIs and RFCs...

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:59 AM