Which mobile OS is compatible with which.... RRS feed

• Question

• Do the applications developed for old mobile OS work on new Mobile OS. For ex: Can application developed for Window mobile work on Window moble 6?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean Windows Mobile 5.0 application work on Windows Mobile 6?

If yes, definitely it works. Just do this:

Click on Project menu --> Change target platform --> Select the Windows Mobile Professional SDK from the drop down

Please let me know if you have any more queries regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Yes if will work with out any dependencies if you developed using native API.

But if you use the .Net CF make sure you have compatible .Net CF is in your device.

Siva.
    • Proposed as answer by GSiva Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:23 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:43 AM
  • There's no universally correct answer to that question asked as you have now.

Case and point, I have a game that was designed for Windows Mobile 2003.  I can start it on a Windows Mobile 6.1 device, but the game requires mappable hardware buttons and my current Windows Mobile devices have none, so it runs but is not usable.  While the binary compatibility is there the hardware requirements are not.  Also games that used GAPI may or may not work on Windows Mobile 6.5.  As of 6.5 the OEMs are not required to implement GAPI. You could also run into issues if a developer assumed that the screen resolution would always be one thing when the app was developed and you have a device with a different resolution.

So in short the answer to your question is "it depends on the app."

If you want an answer more applicable to your concerns you'll need to share info on the scenario for which you are asking.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean Windows Mobile 5.0 application work on Windows Mobile 6?

If yes, definitely it works. Just do this:

Click on Project menu --> Change target platform --> Select the Windows Mobile Professional SDK from the drop down

Please let me know if you have any more queries regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Yes if will work with out any dependencies if you developed using native API.

But if you use the .Net CF make sure you have compatible .Net CF is in your device.

Siva.
    • Proposed as answer by GSiva Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:23 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:43 AM
  • There's no universally correct answer to that question asked as you have now.

Case and point, I have a game that was designed for Windows Mobile 2003.  I can start it on a Windows Mobile 6.1 device, but the game requires mappable hardware buttons and my current Windows Mobile devices have none, so it runs but is not usable.  While the binary compatibility is there the hardware requirements are not.  Also games that used GAPI may or may not work on Windows Mobile 6.5.  As of 6.5 the OEMs are not required to implement GAPI. You could also run into issues if a developer assumed that the screen resolution would always be one thing when the app was developed and you have a device with a different resolution.

So in short the answer to your question is "it depends on the app."

If you want an answer more applicable to your concerns you'll need to share info on the scenario for which you are asking.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:47 AM