Virtual Networking Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble getting two windows machines to see eachother by hostname.
    Here is what i have done so far.

1. Created a virtual network / affinity group. 
        addreses 10.4.0.0/16 - BackendSubnet 10.4.3.0/24  FrontendSubnet 10.4.2.0/24

2. Created two VM instances (server 2008R2). 
        During creation i selected my affinity group and BackendSubnet
        Started the VMS
        Disabled Windows Firewall completely.

Results:
    I am able to ping between the machines by ip. 
    I am able to share a file with "everyone" and find it //ipadress/sharename in windows explorer.
    I am not able to ping between the machines by hostname. 
    This is extremely troubling because I understand that Azure uses DHCP and ip addresses can change.

Last, 
    I created a linux vm (ubuntu 12.04). 
    I am not able to join any subnet, and get a weird ip address out of range when i check ifconfig.
    I need to be able to connect privately to a linux server for MySQL. 
    MySQL on windows is not an option since we are using MySQL as a Postfix db.

I really would love to be able to transition from CloudStack to Azure. 
    Microsoft has better pcicing than my current CloudStack provider (Godaddy). 
    We are also on BizSpark with makes Azure even more attractive.

Questions:
    1. Can someone help me with the ping by name in windows machines.
    2. Althogh linux networking is not available through the portal, can someone tell me how to configure my linux VM for supporting this.

Thanks in advance.

I think for azure to be a good alternative to CloudStack, I would like to see the following:
    1. Load Balancer Rules (Round Robin, Sticky Sessions, Ip Filtering rules / groups)
    2. The ability to add multiple static ip addresses to a single cloud service.   Sometimes you need some port 80 requests going to one box and some to another.  
    3. The ability to have automatic scaling storage.  Having a storage disk attached to windows is great.  But having to define its size from the get go is kind of pointless.  Why not have them dynamically scale?  
    4. Snapshots directly from within the portal.  With Sysprep built in
    5. Snapshot to vm library (see above)
    6. Xen Import / Vmware Import 
    7. Scalr type features built right in.  (might be daydreaming on this one)
    8. Ability to export vms.  In case you want to go from cloud to private cloud like hyper-v on premises. 
    9. Load balancer rules, blocking by country ip range would be very attractive.  Just to block off china and russia. 
    10. Reseller Billing.  Not important to me, but its a big marketplace.  Would be nice to deploy an app to Azure and then have Azure bill the client for it.  Web developers would love this.  

• Moved by Arwind - MSFT Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:40 AM (From:Connectivity and Messaging - Windows Azure)
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:21 PM

Answers

• Just to clarify, two machines created under the same Cloud Service seem to be able to see eachother.  Machines created as seperate vms (thus having a different public ip / cloud service) cannot see each other.  

This is a showstopper for many, since Azure does not have the ability to either use host headers (including ssl) with cloud services, or give us the ability to add second static ip to cloud services. A workaround could take place with ARR as a reverse proxy, but again, not a real solution.

Where this gets really tricky is when running MySQL on linux.  Not having virtual networking between windows / linux boxes risks database packets traveling over public internet. 

Please advise.
    Also please provide ETA for when Linux will fully be supported. 

Thanks

Frank

• Marked as answer by Frank Basti Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:41 PM

All replies

• Just to clarify, two machines created under the same Cloud Service seem to be able to see eachother.  Machines created as seperate vms (thus having a different public ip / cloud service) cannot see each other.  

This is a showstopper for many, since Azure does not have the ability to either use host headers (including ssl) with cloud services, or give us the ability to add second static ip to cloud services. A workaround could take place with ARR as a reverse proxy, but again, not a real solution.

Where this gets really tricky is when running MySQL on linux.  Not having virtual networking between windows / linux boxes risks database packets traveling over public internet. 

Please advise.
    Also please provide ETA for when Linux will fully be supported. 

Thanks

Frank

• Marked as answer by Frank Basti Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:41 PM
  • In the current preview, the Azure provided DNS only works within a cloud service.  To get cross-service DNS you can supply your own DNS, for example a domain controller running the DNS services role.  Mark Russinovich discusses this in his Tech-Ed 2012 Europe session "Windows Azure Virtual Machines and Virtual Networks" where he shows the options for cross-service VM communication, including an example of Linus to Windows.  Jump to about 38:30 in the recording http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/windowsazure/Learn-2012TechEd-EU/VirtualMachines

He seems to indicate that the current cloud service limitations are something they are working on and he hints at some improvements on the roadmap.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Please move it up in the Roadmap.
    Actually on the left hand menu on the portal create a feature called DNS / Routing. 

Here you can offer a dns service, (which also support A records pointing to Deployment-Names)
    You can also support Routing Rules, as i described on my earlier pos
    Friday, July 27, 2012 12:08 PM
  • Paul.  I have two machines one windows one linux, both in the same exact cloud service. 
    The plan is to attempt and use Apache as reverse proxy for IIS7 so that I can have both web servers.

the problem is that I cannot connect a linux / windows machine.
    They are in the same virtual network.
    They are in the same "backend" subnet. 

If i open  up IE i cannot browse to apache by its virtual machine hostname.
    In linux i cannot do a wget to the http://windowvmname/iis-8.png

Whats is funny is that when i ping the machine, it resolves the name. 
    I dont know if this is a windows / linux networking issue, and has nothing to do with azure.   Typically we have been able to just ping by hostname between linux and windows machines.  (cloudstack deployment).   Does this require that we install our own DNS server?

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:46 PM
  • forgot to mention.  one thing that works from the linux machine is:
    wget: http://10.4.3.5/iis-8.png.   

I guess i can just use the hosts file instead of dns, but what I am afraid of is that the private ip of the virtual machines will change since they are DHCP and not static. 

What is the proper way to communicate via hostname between linux / windows vm sharing the same cloud service?   it would be nice to setup connection strings to mysql with the hostname of my linuxmysql server versus ip addresses. 

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:56 PM