Question: Migrate from asmx to wcf RRS feed

• Question

• User-1827601221 posted

We are consumers of web services via asmx. These web services reside on an external server i.e. external to our application. Our proxy class in V/Studio inherits from SoapHttpClientProtocol. We do use properties/methods of WebClientProtocol (a base class of SoapHttpClientProtocol) such as Url, UseDefaultCredentials etc. programmatically in our code.

I'm wondering what corresponding properties/methods are there in WCF that provide similar functionality.

Apart from calling methods from the proxy class, we also overloaded Invoke() and call some web methods Synchronously by passing method name to Invoke(). I was wondering how do we handle that in WCF. We do have a need to call some web methods in a synchronous manner.

Thanks, 

Saturday, August 3, 2013 11:06 PM

Answers

• User220959680 posted

WCF provides enhanced classes and interfaces for client to interact with the service by supporting SOAP & REST services.

The service that is deployed using WCF REST can be invoked by any Http client (Browser, Fiddler or any client), note that for REST service proxy is NOT needed at client end to interact with the service.

For SOAP services adding the service reference in Visual studio generates the proxy to interact with the service from client side where it is required to create an instance of ClientProxy and access service operations. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb412196.aspx

WCF Web HTTP programming model

Summary: WCF is unified programming model that was released with .Net 3.0 during 2006 replacing ASMX (ASP.NET Service), .Net remoting or RPC services that offers easier to use classes and methods to implement services as well as clients.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:00 PM

All replies