Adding buttons to the Quick Access Toolbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to add buttons to me Quick Access Toolbar without using the "start from scratch" option?

I just want to add some of our add-in's buttons without getting rid of the normal Excel interface.

Thanks,

Andrew

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew

As an end-user, yes. As part of your Add-in solution, no.

If this were Word, then I would suggest as a middle path creating a template (*.dotx), opening it in Word while your add-in is loaded, and manually adding the command to the QAT. You'd include this template as part of your solution. Your add-in would then load the template (the Word object model Application.Addins.Add method) as part of its Startup process, and unload it when it shuts down. That should "merge" its QAT with the user's other QAT customizations. But I don't know if this approach is available for Excel. You could try asking in an Excel newsgroup whether Excel supports this kind of scenario.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew

As an end-user, yes. As part of your Add-in solution, no.

If this were Word, then I would suggest as a middle path creating a template (*.dotx), opening it in Word while your add-in is loaded, and manually adding the command to the QAT. You'd include this template as part of your solution. Your add-in would then load the template (the Word object model Application.Addins.Add method) as part of its Startup process, and unload it when it shuts down. That should "merge" its QAT with the user's other QAT customizations. But I don't know if this approach is available for Excel. You could try asking in an Excel newsgroup whether Excel supports this kind of scenario.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Okay, that's what I was afraid of.

Thanks,

Andrew

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:43 PM