none
Can I debug direct a windows driver in VirtualBox RRS feed

• Question

• I realize the project driver cannot break into any breakpoint (host Win10, target Win10 VirtualBox). So, can I debug project windows driver in VS2015+WDK in VirtualBox?

• Edited by Baothinh95 Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:32 AM
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:30 AM

All replies

• A driver in a virtual machine can, of course, break into kernel debugger, and you can debug it from the host. If you are new to this, find someone who can show you (more likely debugging will work with WinDbg, than with Visual Studio IDE).

-- pa

Saturday, May 13, 2017 2:07 PM
  • thanks for your reply.

I mean that use project driver copy file .sys into system32/driver and I debug its source in the VS2015, Everything can I do in win10 VirtualBox instead of using host deploy and debug through target ?

Saturday, May 13, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Yes, anything that you do on a standalone system can be done in a VM

Why are you using VirtualBox, instead of Hyper-V?

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:47 PM
  • I don't know how to debug in Win10 virtualbox, any research bring back one host and one target. Can you explain more about it?why Hyper-V is rather than VirtualBox?

Thanks and regards.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 4:36 AM
  • Here is a tutorial on setting up WinDBG with VirtualBox

I've used most of the virtual machine products out there, and I've found Hyper-V to be the best; however, there are some difficulties with Hyper-V in terms of accessing physical devices, but there are workarounds for most issues. There are plenty of tutorials on debugging with Hyper-V on the Microsoft web site

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Sunday, May 14, 2017 4:47 AM