none
Import Wizard Mapping to TImeByDay field? RRS feed

• Question

• When using the Project Import Wizard to import timesheet data from another app via an Excel file, how do I map data to the TimeByDay field in Project?  I want the hours for a particular day (call if 14 FEB) to show up in Project on 14 FEB.

The Import Wizard map shows a lot of possible mappings, but TimeByDay is not in the dropdown list.  Is it there under a different name?

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:10 AM

Answers

• William,

To add to Guillaume's reply, the import wizard only works with static data, it will not import or export timescaled data, which is what you are after. In order to import timescaled data from Excel to Project, you would either need to set up the data in an XML file, which isn't necessarily reliable, or use VBA. I suggest the latter.

John

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The timebyday is not an available field in MS Project. This is just somehting Project's scheduling engine calculates in the dababase but you cannot map with it while importing. You can only choose MS Project fields in the mapping step such as the duration, work, start and finish dates among the other available fields in MS Project.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Monday, March 14, 2016 12:38 PM
  • William,

To add to Guillaume's reply, the import wizard only works with static data, it will not import or export timescaled data, which is what you are after. In order to import timescaled data from Excel to Project, you would either need to set up the data in an XML file, which isn't necessarily reliable, or use VBA. I suggest the latter.

John

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Thanks John,

I know VBA.  Can you point me to good reference document for the interface to Project?

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:28 PM
  • William,

Sure, the object browser in Project's VB editor is a good source if you already understand the basics of VBA and know something about Project's object library. If you want a reference book, I recommend a book by Rod Gill. You can find out more at:

http://www.project-systems.co.nz/project-vba-book

John

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:08 PM
  • Thanks much
    Monday, March 14, 2016 6:46 PM
  • William,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:58 PM