none
Using Scanners and Barcoding in Excel , can't find a solution even from a Excel Guru. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to get the mouse icon to move down a column after I scan a barcode into the program's cell . When I scan a barcode it automatically goes over to the next cell in the ROW ( I want a CELL to move down a COLUMN ) . There isn't any need for me to press enter either because after scanning it moves over automatically, hence the advanced options in excel doesn't seem to have the option I need. All im doing is scanning , I want to be able to scan a barcode document and go on to the next cell in the column underneath for inventory purposes without needing to re correct the mouse icon, it would save a lot of time and headaches.

Thank you.

Monday, September 25, 2017 10:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Johnny Tech Sana,
    I want to know if the cell is still in edit mode or has been edited and exited edit mode?
    If the cell is still in edit mode, I think Office could not help you select next cell since Office won't know if you want to continue to edit current cell or edit next cell. Macro would not execute when cells are in edit mode and there is no way to exit edit mode. Please visit https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3333e18b-cef3-4d78-b47a-6916a1b2d84c/excel-edit-mode?forum=isvvba for more information.
    If the cell has been edited and exited edit mode, I think you could use a macro to catch this action and then force excel to select next cell in current column.
    Here is the code example.
    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    'After editing a single cell in column A, excel will select next cell in column A
    If Not Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.Columns(1)) Is Nothing _
    And Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then
    Target.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End If
    End Sub
    For using this code, you could use ALT+F11 to open VBE and then double click the sheet where you want to use this code in Project window. Then you could paste the code in to the code editor. Please enter a data in a cell in Column A to test the function.
    Best Regards,
    Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Hi Johnny Tech Sana,

I can see that after scanning the code your cursor moves to Right cell in the same row.

your requirement is to move to down.

Scanners append the enter after code.

so it is possible that your Excel is set to move the cursor to right.

you need to go to File -> Options -> Advanced.

in "Editing options" you need to set the direction to "Down".

click ok and again try to scan the barcode and check whether cursor is now moving down or not.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:02 AM