none
SQL server agent (MSSQLSERVER) service not starting and no messages indicating the cause

Question

• Hi,
    We are using SQL2014 for our application on Windows 10 and Windows 2016 systems.  We are observing that SQL server agent is not starting after a system reboot.  There is no message in either SQL logs or windows event viewer.

I expected a message in windows event viewer indicating reason for not starting.

Is there any other place that I should be looking at?
    regards
    Padma

Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Padma,

>>Is there any other place that I should be looking at?

Yes, I’d suggest you:
    1. Post a screenshot of SQL Server Configuration Manager as it’s shows service startup mode.
    2. Post(or upload to OneDrive and share the link here) the content in SQL Server Agent log.
    3. Post(or upload to OneDrive and share the link here) the content in SQL Server error log, as Agent needs to connect to msdb database during startup process.

Also, please make sure you have masked/replaced all sensitive data such as login name, server name before upload/posting to avoid security risk.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:12 AM
  • Is there anything in the windows event log from SQL Server agent?
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:25 PM
  • SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) - startup mode = Manual

SQL Server Agent(MSSQLSERVER) - startup mode = automatic.

We also have SQL Express service - start up mode = automatic

WE have found both SQL2014MSSQL and 2014SQLExpress services to be starting very slow after a reboot of Windows 2016 system. We were earlier using server2008 and windows 7 systems with SQL2008 and did not see this. Is this expected? I could not find any specifc information for changes in SQL 2014.

WE are trying to test with a delayed start on SQL agent service.

As for logs, there are no logs fro SQL agent as the service itself is not running. I will try to post the sql server logs. I will check SQL server logs for msdb connection.

Friday, December 08, 2017 2:21 AM
  • no nothing from SQL server agent in windows event log.
    Friday, December 08, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Hi Padma,

>>SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) - startup mode = Manual

That might explain why SQL Server Agent does not start after server reboot, as msdb database must be accessible during SQL Agent startup process. What if you set the startup mode of SQL Server service to ‘Automatic’?

>>WE have found both SQL2014MSSQL and 2014SQLExpress services to be starting very slow after a reboot of Windows 2016 system.

That might or might not be an issue, depends what’s in SQL Server error log. And the description is quite vague, what do you mean by ‘slow’? Do you mean the duration of SQL Server service startup process, or something else?

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 08, 2017 2:51 AM
  • >>WE have found both SQL2014MSSQL and 2014SQLExpress services to be starting very slow after a reboot of Windows 2016 system

When the system is up after a reboot, I am looking at the state of SQL services (in Services window)  and it is taking about 2 - 5 minutes for the MSSQL Service to go to running state after system is up.

I will once again take a look at SQL error logs

Friday, December 08, 2017 3:29 PM
  • Hi Padma,

>>When the system is up after a reboot, I am looking at the state of SQL services (in Services window)  and it is taking about 2 - 5 minutes for the MSSQL Service to go to running state after system is up.

It’s possible that your database would take a few minutes to become online, that depends on your database size and other factors. You’ll have to review the SQL Server error log to find relevant information.

And what about the original issue, was it resolved?

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:11 AM
  • SQL agent is running service account ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:01 PM