none
Installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 or 3.5 Freezes my Computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone! I'm knew to the forums here, so I apologize if I'm doing anything out of order, or asking a question that doesn't belong here. My problem stems from a game source: Dawn of War 2. I recently purchased the game, and have been attempting to install it to play. Certain programs were required to be able to run the game: Steam, Games for Windows - LIVE, and Visual Studios C++. The game attempted to install them for me, however, during the installation, my computer froze. After rebooting my computer, instead of recieving a Windows Login screen, my monitor remained black, yet my mouse was still visible and useable. Nothing I did could get me out of this screen, so I ended up using a System Restore to reset my computer to the last restore checkpoint. After this, I attempted to manually install the programs myself, and managed to install Steam, and Visual Studios C++. However, installation of Games for Windows - LIVE requires that I have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 or later, and when the installer asked me if I wanted it to install .NET Framework 3.0 and I said yes, during the installation, my computer froze yet again, into the same situation as previously stated. So, once again, I was forced to System Restore back to the last checkpoint. I have been attempting to install both .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5, and I read, although this may or may not be true, that I need to possess both versions 2.0 and 3.0 to install 3.5. I have managed to install .NET Framework 2.0 and update it with both Service Packs 1 and 2. However, whenever I attempt to install .NET Framework 3.0, or .NET Framework 3.5, my computer freezes, and I am forced to System Restore yet again. I know my way around a computer, but I'm no expert and I'm ready to admit that I feel out of my depth here. I'd just like to be able to play Dawn of War 2, but to do that, I need to have .NET Framework 3.0 or 3.5. I have searched high and low all over the internet, but have found absolutely no occurences reported that are anything similar to mine, and since it occurs when attempting to install .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5, I thought I'd ask here. I'll try to post as much information here about my computer and pertaining details as I can, but I'm liable to miss a bit, as I don't know exactly what is needed to help me.

1. Version of .NET Framework I am attempting to install: Both 3.0 and 3.5.
    2. Where I got the framework: www.microsoft.com/downloads,  specific links to 3.0 and 3.5 are
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&displaylang=en and http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6 respectively.
    3. Is this a pre-release, CTP, or beta: It's not a pre-release or a beta, but I'm not sure what CTP means, so I can't help there.
    4. What .NET Framework Patches are installed: .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2.

Seperate Information
    1. Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Let me know if there is any more information that I can provide, and how to provide it. There are no errors that are occuring, so I can't post the error, my computer merely freezes. Again, I apologize if I'm posting where I'm not supposed to or in the wrong order; I'm new to these forums and I'll try to keep everything in order. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:58 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the response! That was some great information, and I'm here to report that it's working fine now, although not for the reasons I woud've thought. My older brother came around and worked some hoodoo voodoo magic on my computer; installing .NET Framework 3.5 from the Windows Updater, and it worked fine for him! That seems to be the way things work for me; if I cannot get it to work whatsoever, he can do the exact same thing and it will work perfectly. Again though, thanks for the response and information!
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, March 20, 2009 9:38 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Ah, stuck in .Net Hell?  Take a look at the link below.  Take notice of the .Net cleanup tool.

I would install all the .Net stuff as described in that posting BEFORE even opening Steam.  When you do the Dawn of War 2 install answer NO to all the .Net questions (if they even come up).

If after all that you are still stuck, then I'd try starting with a bare metal install.  I don't believe that XP Home edition has any .Net limitations but do you have an option of moving to XP Pro perhaps?  I know starting from scratch isn't what you wanna hear but if all else fails, it may be your only hope.

Sorry about your frustration, but stick in out!  You'll get it!

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/389a8c6d-e9bd-4bfc-85e3-f46c83907e2c

Ryan
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Thanks for the response! That was some great information, and I'm here to report that it's working fine now, although not for the reasons I woud've thought. My older brother came around and worked some hoodoo voodoo magic on my computer; installing .NET Framework 3.5 from the Windows Updater, and it worked fine for him! That seems to be the way things work for me; if I cannot get it to work whatsoever, he can do the exact same thing and it will work perfectly. Again though, thanks for the response and information!
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, March 20, 2009 9:38 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:48 PM
  • I can see that this topic is really old but i still hope you guys give me an answer to my problem about microsoft .net framework. Well i bought a game on steam and then i downloaded it, (and this is where the problem comes) when i want to launch that game i get a window that pops out saying

An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. Input string was not in a correct format.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    at System.Number.ParseDouble(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
    at System.Double.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider)
    at System.Convert.ToDouble(String value, IFormatProvider provider)
    at System.String.System.IConvertible.ToDouble(IFormat Provider provider)
    at System.Convert.ToDouble(Object value)
    at UpdateLib.UpdateCore.Init(String updateDbPath, String versionDbPath, Boolean isUpdater)
    at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LauncherMainForm_Load(Ob ject sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Mess age& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(M essage& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Launcher
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2669.20298
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2669.20298
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/launcher.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
    CoreLib
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/CoreLib.DLL
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
    SkinLib
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/SkinLib.DLL
    AxInterop.SHDocVw
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/AxInterop.SHDocVw.DLL
    Interop.SHDocVw
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/Interop.SHDocVw.DLL
    Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/accessibility/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/accessibility.dll
    UpdateLib
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files/steam/steamapps/common/medieval%20ii%20total%20war/UpdateLib.DLL
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.directx.audiovideoplayback/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/microsoft.directx.audiovideoplayback.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.directx/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/microsoft.directx.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
    application or machine (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
    rather than being handled by this dialog.

or something like that.... and when i click skip it goes away and the menu to my game(medieval 2 total war) cames out saying settings          play when ever i click on the play sign a black screem fills 7/8 of my screem from top left corner to bottom right then it says program medieval 2 stoped working it does work because of some problem. system windows will close the program and tell you when there is a solution.

could anyone please,please help me with this.

i tried istaling diretx, framework 3.5 , c++, witch no of alowed me to play the game. i also updated my windows, that didn't work either.                                              

thank you for reading this and i hope you will give me a respons to my question.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:08 PM