Build task: Windows Machine File Copy between domains issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble getting the Windows Machine File Copy build step task to work. I am trying to copy from DomainA to DomainB.

I have done the openings in the firewall for the buildagents (domainA) to be able to reach the webserver and the appserver (domainB):

ping is blocket, but Tcp is comming through.

I have configured my task like this:

The Machine Group is configured like this, and the account that is used is a DomainB account:

But when I run the step I get an exception

Failed to connect to the path \\10.72.xx.xx with the user DOMAINB\_myaccount for copying.System error 53 has occurred. 
    2016-03-08T12:48:31.0301243Z The network path was not found.

Kjaps

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In my first post, what I mean is you don't need to care about what port you should open. Copy files from one domain to another is related to the account permission. So make sure the 2 domains are trusted with each other and give the account enough permission.

About how to let the 2 domains are trusted with each other, you could go to this forum for some dedicated help.https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Kjaps,

Thank you for posting here.

If you want to use this step/task to copy files from a machine(named M-A) in DomainA to a machine(named M-B) in DomainB:

1. Make sure the 2 domains are trusted with each other.

2. Make sure the 2 machines can ping successfully with each other, you could temporary allow the ICMP access  (ECHO protocol).

3. Change the TFS build service to a domainA account. You also need to give the domainA account permission to access the destination folder on M-B.

If you want to know more about copy files from DomainA to DomainB, you could go to this forum for help.https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

1. ok

2. Will try this

3. The buildservice account is in domainA as TFS is in domainA. The DomainB account has access to the folder on the target machine.

Kjaps

Thursday, March 10, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Hi Kjaps,

Just make sure the 2 machine can communicate with each other well.

Friday, March 11, 2016 2:16 AM
  • As I understand, the initiation to the communication will come from the buildserver in DomainA. And the communication is performed on port 5985. Is this not enough? We have currently only done openings in the firewall for this particular port, and in that direction. 

Kjaps

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:32 AM
  • Hi Kjaps,

Thank you for coming back.

The 5985 port is used for Windows Remote Management. So only enable this port is not enough. In a word, your 2 domains don't corresponded, and the account in domainA don't have the permission on destination folder.

Monday, March 14, 2016 2:00 AM
  • So then my question is: which ports needs to be opened?

Kjaps

Monday, March 14, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

In my first post, what I mean is you don't need to care about what port you should open. Copy files from one domain to another is related to the account permission. So make sure the 2 domains are trusted with each other and give the account enough permission.

About how to let the 2 domains are trusted with each other, you could go to this forum for some dedicated help.https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:02 AM