Critical problem still exists RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

old critical problem with caching still exists, more info in the old topic http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c4f21163-b72d-40fe-8e74-ae78383ef85c/unlimited-caching-windows-81-17-sep-2013?forum=w81prevwCsharp

Dear Microsoft, my users are complaining that the size of the app folder exceeds 2-3 gigabytes, and they have to reinstall the app to clear the cache. When the problem will be solved? I am waiting 6 months already. I got and get 1 stars because of this problem. I need to call Balmer or Gates or what??? This is amazing.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I got confirmation the MediaElement (ME) does limit the cache size. The size limit is 95% of free space or 4 GB whatever is smaller. If you stop the stream the cache should be cleaned out in about 10 minutes if the file is larger than 5 MB.

We do have a proposed design change that will allow the ME cache size to be controlled to some extent. Unfortunately this design change did not make it into 8.1 RTM. I have requested that the change be checked into the main branch as soon as possible. If this happens as I expect we will see the change in the next release of the operating system.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Friday, November 8, 2013 9:48 PM

All replies

• I read through the threads and it appears that you are experiencing a different issue from what has been specified as the designed behavior.  Have you opened a support case for this critical problem?  That would be the best way to get fast 1 on 1 support.  The second best method would be to post a complete set of repro steps and a project that can be used to repro the problem on SkyDrive.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Hello, all apps what use MediaElement have this problem, I do not want to pay to solve this known bug. There is enough information in the topics. You can open any radio app and check the size of the app folder (AC/INetChache) after 1-2 hours, and after 1-2 days to see that apps can store cache more than 1Gb.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Specifics are required.  Which Radio app?  This does not happen on my system. 

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:17 PM
  • I reproduced this problem in 3 radio apps (2 are not my), also in the music app which plays online mp3 files, all songs are cached to INetCache folder
    • Edited by Andev Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:28 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Thanks Andev,

I cannot reproduce the behavior on my system from what you have told me.  The Music apps that stream obey precisely the rules James specified in that other thread.

If you can provide very specific information I can pursue this further.  If you do not, there is nothing further I can do.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:55 PM
  • I have Win8.1 Pro with all updates installed. Also tried on Win8.1Ent, same problem...
    Friday, November 8, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Andev - I think James is still tracking this problem.  I'll ask him to chime in.

I didn't realize you were the same poster as in the other thread. According to all of our information, the issue is fixed. At this point, the only way you're going to get any further with this is to open a support case, in which one of four things will occur:

1) You are indeed having the same problem and it's still a bug. We'll refund the support case and research the matter further.

2) You're experiencing a different issue but it's still a bug. We'll refund the support case and research the matter further.

3) You're experiencing a different issue and it's a problem in your code. We'll assist you in figuring out where the problem is, and you'll be fixed.

4) You are not experiencing a problem at all, it's simply a misperception of what you think you are experiencing.

It appears to be in your best interest to open a support case.

Also, I'm locking this thread as there's nothing further to be gained from this conversation.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, November 8, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Hello,

I got confirmation the MediaElement (ME) does limit the cache size. The size limit is 95% of free space or 4 GB whatever is smaller. If you stop the stream the cache should be cleaned out in about 10 minutes if the file is larger than 5 MB.

We do have a proposed design change that will allow the ME cache size to be controlled to some extent. Unfortunately this design change did not make it into 8.1 RTM. I have requested that the change be checked into the main branch as soon as possible. If this happens as I expect we will see the change in the next release of the operating system.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Friday, November 8, 2013 9:48 PM