Change Boot-Loader

Question

• Hello, I am currently running a dual boot with Windows 7 x64 and Windows Dev Preview x64 (Each OS on a separate partition).

Is it possible to change the boot loader (OS Selection Screen) from the Windows 8 style to Windows 7 style?

Also, when I change it to the Windows 7 style, how would I be able to go back to the original Windows 8 Boot-Loader?

Thanks.

• Edited by JosephMSDN Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:26 PM None
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:54 AM

Answers

• Go to Start - Control Panel - More settings - System - Advanced system settings - Advanced - StartUp and change the default boot system to Windows 7. Then, you will get the Windows 7 boot loader.

• Edited by MCCZ Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by JosephMSDN Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:29 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:14 PM

All replies

• You can boot from your Windows 7 DVD, click on Computer repair and Startup repair but there is no way to do a dual boot from Windows yet.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:56 AM
  •  but there is no way to do a dual boot from Windows yet.

I'm pretty sure that I am running a dual boot with 2 Operating systems right now (Windows).
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:59 AM
  •  but there is no way to do a dual boot from Windows yet.

I'm pretty sure that I am running a dual boot with 2 Operating systems right now (Windows).

Can you Switch between Win7 and Win8?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Yes, by installing windows 8 in a dual boot, windows 8 gives you the option to select an OS before booting to windows 8

see this image: http://goo.gl/NSTp3

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:41 AM
  • What's the reason for this request?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:37 AM
  • Try using EasyBCD to configure your bootloader.
    http://neosmart.net/thankyou.php?app=EasyBCD

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:41 AM
  • EasyBCD is not compatible with this Build of Win8 at this time.  I am a part of that site and have talked to the Developer.  He is working on trying to get support for it but there is no time frame when there will be support.
    Regards,
    Alex T.
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP 2007-2011~
    Is this response helpful? If so, please consider clicking the green Vote As Helpful button for the benefit of future visitors with the same question.
    If this post provided a solution please mark it as the answer to help others. Thank You.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:46 AM
  • EasyBCD is not compatible with this Build of Win8 at this time.  I am a part of that site and have talked to the Developer.  He is working on trying to get support for it but there is no time frame when there will be support.
    Regards,
    Alex T.
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP 2007-2011~
    Is this response helpful? If so, please consider clicking the green Vote As Helpful button for the benefit of future visitors with the same question.
    If this post provided a solution please mark it as the answer to help others. Thank You.

Cool, didn't know that, thanks. :)
    0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Basically its because when i want to uninstall windows 8, i am still left with the windows 8 boot loader.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Go to Start - Control Panel - More settings - System - Advanced system settings - Advanced - StartUp and change the default boot system to Windows 7. Then, you will get the Windows 7 boot loader.

• Edited by MCCZ Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by JosephMSDN Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:29 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:14 PM

Would it be the same to revert it back to back to the Win8 later?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Yes, the boot loader used is the same as the default booting OS, at least for the case of Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    • Edited by MCCZ Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:11 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:10 PM