Connection in SQLserver 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the SQL server 2008 R2.

after that shall i check anything  before connceting?

I installed it as a Default Instance MSSQLSERVER 

and MixedMode

Specify SQLserver Administrator is DMA\C.Mujeeb.Rahman(C.Mujeeb.Rahman)

and Password is 12345

My Computer IP 172.12.128.91

Computer Name is HQCSSTPM0076D

Full computer name is HQCSSTPM0076D.dma.gov.local

Now i want to connect . How can i specifiy  the server name and other things

Plz tell me

Server Name --------------------?

Windows Authentication 

AK
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

In addition ,if you are connectiong to SQL Server by some developed application, you could connection string to connect to SQL Server like

Data Source=HQCSSTPM0076D\MSSQLSERVER ;Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=DMA\C.Mujeeb.Rahman;Password=12345;

Please refer to this link for more information.

Before connecting ,please follow the basic steps to check :

a. Check the server on which SQL Server is running can be accessible. You can use ping command to test that. For instance, ping <computer_name> or ping <IP_address>. The ping command may be block by the firewall, make sure ICMP is enabled in the firewall. More info, check: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739791%28v=ws.10%29.aspx#BKMK_4.
    b. Choose appropriate protocol
    c. Configure Windows firewall accordingly based on what protocol you have chosen to use. For detailed information about how to configure Windows Firewall to allow SQL Server, please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx.
    d. Enable SQL Server Browser Services
     You need to enable SQL Server Browser Services if the following are both true:
    1. SQL Server is not listening on default 1433 port or not use default pipe name \\.\pipe\sql\query;
    2. The corresponding TCP port or pipe name is not specified in the connection string (such as Srv1\SQL2008, 1500).
    By the way, if you have enabled SQL Server Browser Services, you still need to open UDP 1434 port which is used by Browser Services in the Windows firewall. 

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, August 29, 2011 9:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:28 AM

All replies

• refer http://sqlserver-help.com/2011/06/19/help-whats-my-sql-server-name/
    I have given some example there.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Server Name for Default Instance is your SYSTEM NAME
    Thanks & Regards, Leela Prasad
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Hi Mujeeb,

If you connecting via sql server management studio,

go to run, type ssms.exe  ---> this will open sql server management studio.

Now click on connect (on left hand side -Object Explorer) which will pop up a new window. In that select server type as Database Engine, Server name as HQCSSTPM0076D, Authentication - Windows Authentication

And assuming other things being perfect you will be able to connect.

Hope this helps!!

Regards, Vishal Srivastava
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:12 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hi ,

In addition ,if you are connectiong to SQL Server by some developed application, you could connection string to connect to SQL Server like

Data Source=HQCSSTPM0076D\MSSQLSERVER ;Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User Id=DMA\C.Mujeeb.Rahman;Password=12345;

Please refer to this link for more information.

Before connecting ,please follow the basic steps to check :

a. Check the server on which SQL Server is running can be accessible. You can use ping command to test that. For instance, ping <computer_name> or ping <IP_address>. The ping command may be block by the firewall, make sure ICMP is enabled in the firewall. More info, check: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739791%28v=ws.10%29.aspx#BKMK_4.
    b. Choose appropriate protocol
    c. Configure Windows firewall accordingly based on what protocol you have chosen to use. For detailed information about how to configure Windows Firewall to allow SQL Server, please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx.
    d. Enable SQL Server Browser Services
     You need to enable SQL Server Browser Services if the following are both true:
    1. SQL Server is not listening on default 1433 port or not use default pipe name \\.\pipe\sql\query;
    2. The corresponding TCP port or pipe name is not specified in the connection string (such as Srv1\SQL2008, 1500).
    By the way, if you have enabled SQL Server Browser Services, you still need to open UDP 1434 port which is used by Browser Services in the Windows firewall. 

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, August 29, 2011 9:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:28 AM