Azure AD Connect Reset/Restart Initial Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to run Azure AD Connect and start from scratch. I followed the procedures provided in this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3008643

You can reset the Azure Active Directory Connect wizard by renaming the file that stores the state of Azure Active Directory Connect. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that Azure Active Directory Connect is not running.
    2. Start Windows Explorer, and then locate the following folder:
      %localappdata%\AADConnect\
    3. Rename the <GUID>.xmil file, where <GUID> represents the OrganizationID or your organization. 
      Note Each organization, such as contoso.onmicrosoft.com, has a GUID that uses a format that resembles the following:
      <nnnnnnnn>-<nnnn>-<nnnn>-<nnnn-nnnnnnnnnnnn>
    4. Rerun Azure Active Directory Connect.

I am not seeing any xmil/xml file as mentioned in Step 3.

How do I run Azure AD Connect as if it has never been ran before? Thanks.

• Edited by jjnnugent Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting this query here and bringing it to our notice.

This is completely unsupported from my perspective!  It will result in resetting only part of the state.  Just uninstall and re-install.  Takes all of 1 minute and puts you in a clean state.

The article is actually documenting how it used to be in the beta release so these steps have not been correct for any release of Connect.
    In beta (Mar 2015?) the persisted state file was still in %localappdata%. Yes, delete with extreme prejudice. These instructions will likely cause significant damage in today’s builds.

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:02 PM