none
ngen.exe eats all RAM and Disk processing and freezes PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Windows 10, completely updated newest version, and ngen is making me lose my mind.

If my computer begins to idle at all, ngen.exe activates and immediately consumes all available RAM (taking me from 4GB in use to all 32GB in use) and brings the disk up to 99% processing. This brings my computer to a complete halt. It does not complete whatever task it's trying to do, it will hang indefinitely.

I have tried:

Disabling the .NET tasks in Task Scheduler that activate when idle
    Using the .NET repair tool
    Using the .NET cleanup tool
    Uninstalling .NET 3.5 (the newest version I had installed)
    Installing .NET 4.7 (the newest version available)
    Uninstalling all non-essential programs to see if that effects anything
    Going through Task Scheduler and disabling all tasks that activate when the PC is idle, as long as it ended in an error and not success or wasn't run in over a year
    Starting up in Safe Mode (it doesn't seem like ngen.exe ever activates here) to do all the above tasks again

My issue is basically exactly the same as seen here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/698a344d-127e-4e7c-8395-53ebcdae4b4d/ngenexe-100-memory-usage-after-leaving-pc-idle?forum=netfxsetup

The only difference is that prior to ngen.exe completely killing my PC, I was getting BSODs for memory_management. I reseated my RAM and even tried different ram, but the ngen.exe issue persists.

Other than doing a fresh install of Windows, what can I do to resolve this?

Friday, June 23, 2017 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi MsS1985,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Please Download the Easy NGEN Script, run it as admin and select option 1 to do a full ngen run:

enter image description here

This takes a ot of time and does all pending ngen operations. After this the ngen queue is empty and you shouldn't see the other tasks again.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Thank you, I've run this - it froze my computer up for half an hour, but finally completed. If it's a success, I'll report back.
    Monday, June 26, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Unfortunately, this did not resolve it. While it did run and complete, ngen.exe still opens when the computer idles and freezes the computer.
    Monday, June 26, 2017 6:37 PM
  • Hi MsS1985,

Thank you for your update.

A clean and tidy computer is the key requirement for avoiding problems with ngen. This means running a scan for malware, cleaning your hard drive using 1cleanmgr and 2sfc /scannow, 3uninstalling programs that you no longer need, checking for Autostart programs (using 4msconfig) and enabling Windows' 5Automatic Update. Always remember to perform periodic backups, or at least to set restore points.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Hi Lana,

I had done all of these things before posting here, and I keep updates on (actually don't see an option to turn off Windows Update in Win 10).

I just ran the newest Windows 10 update (to the "creator pack"), and *knock on wood*, it seems to have resolved the issue. I've gone the whole day without ngen.exe taking over my PC.

Hopefully now that I've said that it won't suddenly crash. :)

Friday, June 30, 2017 8:30 PM
  • Hi MsS1985,

Thank you for your update and glad to hear the issue is solved.

From your description, there is a possibility that the Windows update KB didn't update, some compatibility problems between the ngen.exe and system, so that it took up much processing memory.

Since this situation is gone, you can mark your reply as answer to close this thread. If you have any other question about this, please feel free to contact us then, we are willing to helping you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 9:28 AM
  • I spoke way too soon and did not knock hard enough.

ngen.exe is back to ruining my day. It was nice having a functioning computer for a day or two.

Nothing on my PC has changed in the past two days of use. No new programs or apps were installed. The only thing that changed was that I uninstalled the newest form of Skype. (I did this today after the shutdowns already started.)

Are there any other things I can try?

• Edited by MsS1985 Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:15 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:45 PM
  • Just jumping in with a me Too.  Killing my surfacebook with I7 where it is almost unusable.  
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:25 AM