Lightswitch Newby - needs easy grid navigation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm relatively new to Lightswitch and I'm trying to decide if I go with Silverlight or HTML, I really like the Silverlight grid especially how you can edit multiple rows and use the arrow keys to easily update all data in one column.  I'm concerned about that fact that they are not enhancing Silverlight though.  I've tried the HTML grid and while you can edit multiple rows you can't easily use the arrow key to navigate down a column.  Is there a way to use the HTML client to get this functionality?  3rd party controls?  I'd like to hear the thoughts of more experienced developers and how they decided which path to take. -Thanks Becky

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi rbazabal,

From your description above, it's recommended to use the LightSwitch HTML Table Control.

The Table control has built in keyboard navigation to make this easy for your users. Each row on the Table can be easily navigated to, by using the arrow keys on a keyboard. Once the focus is on a Table control, press UP/DOWN arrow keys to navigate across various rows. While pressing DOWN arrow, the table progressively loads and displays additional rows of the table. Pressing ENTER or SPACEBAR will trigger the tap action.

Further information: The LightSwitch HTML Table Control (Rohit Agrawal)

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by rbazabal Monday, October 20, 2014 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi rbazabal,

From your description above, it's recommended to use the LightSwitch HTML Table Control.

The Table control has built in keyboard navigation to make this easy for your users. Each row on the Table can be easily navigated to, by using the arrow keys on a keyboard. Once the focus is on a Table control, press UP/DOWN arrow keys to navigate across various rows. While pressing DOWN arrow, the table progressively loads and displays additional rows of the table. Pressing ENTER or SPACEBAR will trigger the tap action.

Further information: The LightSwitch HTML Table Control (Rohit Agrawal)

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by rbazabal Monday, October 20, 2014 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Thank you, I've worked with it but it's just not as quick as the Silverlight grid so I'll probably stick with that for now.
    Monday, October 20, 2014 3:16 PM