none
Microsoft Installer issue AND .NET V4.0.30319 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I'm facing what I believe to be a registry error. 

The major symptom is that everytime I try to install something (iTunes, Java, etc.) using the Microsoft Installer, I get the following error message:  

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "<***>.msi" in the box below."

I've googled for the solution and I found that I should install the Windows Installer Cleanup, known as MSICUU2.EXE, which was replaced by "Microsoft Fix it" running the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter. When I tried to install Fix it, I got the following error message:

"To run this application you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET.Framework: V4.0.30319.   Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET.Framework."

Again I tried to search for a solution to this new problem, so I got the dotNET setup verifier and the verification fot the 4.0 version failed. I also got the dotNET cleanup tool, which I ran to remove all versions from my pc. After that I reinstalled the 4.0 version but I still get the same error message asking for V4.0.30319. 

I don't know what I can do now... i would really appreciate some help!

Thanks in advance!

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:57 PM

Answers

• The version number you gave, 4.0.30319, IS the full version number for .NET 4.

If you want to check to see if .NET Framework 4.0 is installed correctly on your system, use this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx 

If the tool finds 4.0, run the verifier and look at the last ~15 lines of tool output.

If the tool cannot find 4.0, or the test app fails, your installation is corrupt.

FWIW, given your initial description, I still think OS repair/reinstall is in order.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:06 PM

All replies

• In your situation, I would be seriously considering Windows 7 repair or reinstall. Your description indicated a "Catch 22" situation where you need to install .NET 4.0 so your fix program can run, but you cannot install 4.0 because your Windows Installer (the feature to be fixed) is not working correctly.

Here's an article that may help with Win 7 repair:

• Proposed as answer by Barry WangModerator Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by dayalmb Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:10 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hi dayalmb,

I agree with pvdg42. You may have to repair or reinstall your OS now. Your .NET Framework 4 is not installed and your issue is about Windows Installer. Which means you can't install .NET 4 too. Please consider pvdg42's suggestion.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Actually, .NET 4 is installed! But the Fix It thing requires the 4.0.30319 version. I even reinstalled v4 after running the cleanup tool, but still get this error message.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:10 PM
  • The version number you gave, 4.0.30319, IS the full version number for .NET 4.

If you want to check to see if .NET Framework 4.0 is installed correctly on your system, use this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx 

If the tool finds 4.0, run the verifier and look at the last ~15 lines of tool output.

If the tool cannot find 4.0, or the test app fails, your installation is corrupt.

FWIW, given your initial description, I still think OS repair/reinstall is in order.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:06 PM