none
Excel applications on OneDrive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large number of Excel based engineering and science applications that I want to make available on OneDrive (or some other free or low cost Web location, if OneDrive is not suitable).  Many are pure VBA, but I also have many linking to Python, C++, C#, and Fortran.  My priorities are:

1.  UDFs must work.

2. Fast transfer of large blocks of data between Excel ranges and Python and .Net code.

3. Minimise code translation.

4. Good documentation.

I find the large number of alternative offerings highly confusing, and also there seems to be little or nothing about UDFs and converting existing VBA applications.

Any advice or pointers to useful information will be gratefully received.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi DougAJ4,

>> I have a large number of Excel based engineering and science applications that I want to make available on OneDrive (or some other free or low cost Web location, if OneDrive is not suitable).  Many are pure VBA, but I also have many linking to Python, C++, C#, and Fortran

What do you mean by “Excel application”? Do you mean Excel file with macro? If it is excel file with macro, what do you mean linking to Python, C++, C# ? Do you mean that you want to use C# to interop with excel file?

>> 1.  UDFs must work.
    If you mean Excel file with macro stored in OneDrive, I think you could download it to your client, and the UDFs would work at your desktop in your excel application.

>> 2. Fast transfer of large blocks of data between Excel ranges and Python and .Net code.
    If you want to interop with excel ranges, I suggest you download it from oneDrive, modify the ranges, and then upload it to OndeDrive to override it.

I am not sure what do you mean by “Minimise code translation” and “Good documentation”. Do you mean you want details document to help you how to operate excel ranges?
    What do you mean by “also there seems to be little or nothing about UDFs and converting existing VBA applications.”? Do you mean you want to convert VBA or UDFs to other languages function, like C#? You could use excel object model in C# or vb.net which you used with vba.

If I misunderstood you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:15 AM