Unable to Generate SSL Certificate Request - No "Server Certificates" Feature RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Azure Web App (Basic tier) and am unable to generate an SSL Certificate Request.  Using IIS Manager, the "Server Certificate" feature (required to generate the request) is not listed.  I connected via IIS Manager from a Windows 7 machine, as well as from a Windows Server, with the same results (no "Server Certificate" feature).  Please help.  Thank you.
    Friday, June 12, 2015 1:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

You don't need to connect to your Azure App Service Web App with IIS Manager to get the Certificate request you just need to open IIS Manager on a machine that has IIS installed on it or connect to one that does.
    In there you will be able to see the Server node and then the Server Certificate option.
    Best regards,

Cristhian Uribe Microsoft MSFT)

Friday, June 19, 2015 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have the custom domain name registered already and configured your web app to respond to the custom domain ?

You must request an SSL certificate for the domain. Are you not seeing the option to request for an SSL certificate ?

I recommend you to go through this document that talks about " Get a certificate using the IIS Manager " that might help.

Also, please note that In order to enable HTTPS for custom domain names, you must configure your web app for Standard mode

Feel free to write back for any queries.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

• Proposed as answer by Shirisha Paderu Friday, June 12, 2015 12:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by PaulDK Friday, June 12, 2015 2:33 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 12:50 PM
  • Thank you for your response, Shirisha.

I have registered a custom domain name and can access the site using the custom domain name via Internet Explorer.  I'm not certain, if that is what you meant by configuring the web app to respond to the custom domain?  Are any additional steps necessary?

I am not seeing the option to request an SSL certificate.  Isn't this done using IIS Manager by selecting the "Server Certificate" feature?  The document that you referenced contains a link, which states this.

Also, the link below states that SSL can be used in Basic mode

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/websites/

Thanks.

Paul

Friday, June 12, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Yes, I see that we can use SSL for basic mode. Apologies for the confusion.

Yes, requesting an SSL certificate is done by using IIS manager by selecting the Server Certificate feature. see  Request an Internet Server

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Friday, June 12, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Hi Shirisha,

Thank you for your reply.

My problem is when using IIS Manager, the "Server Certificate" feature (required to generate the request) is not listed.  I connected via IIS Manager from a Windows 7 machine, as well as from a Windows Server, with the same results (no "Server Certificate" feature).  Do you know why this feature is missing?  Without it, I cannot generate the SSL certificate request.

Paul

Friday, June 12, 2015 4:17 PM
  • I am finding the issue might be due to the level that I am accessing the web app via IIS Manager.  It looks like I may need to connect at the server level, instead of the site level (to see the 'Server Certiticate' feature).  Is there a way to connect to an Azure web app by specifying the 'Connect to server' option in IIS Manager?  I am to able to do so.

Thank you.

Friday, June 12, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Hi Paul,

You should be able to get the certificate using the IIS manager. Recommend you to follow the instructions and links provided below and write back with the steps  that  you are missing to find the server certificate.

1. Generate a CSR with IIS Manager to send to the Certificate Authority. For more information on generating a CSR, see Request an Internet Server Certificate (IIS 7).

2. Submit your CSR to a Certificate Authority to obtain an SSL certificate. For a list of Certificate Authorities, see Windows and Windows Phone 8 SSL Root Certificate Program (Members CAs) on the Microsoft TechNet Wiki.

3. Complete the CSR with the certificate provided by the Certificate Authority vendor. For more information on completing the CSR, see Install an Internet Server Certificate (IIS 7).

4. If your CA uses intermediate certificates, you must install these certificates before exporting the certificate in the next step. Usually these certificates are provided as a separate download from your CA, and are provided in several formats for different web server types. Select the version that is provided for Microsoft IIS.

Once you have downloaded the certificate, right click on it in explorer and select Install certificate. Use the default values in the Certificate Import Wizard, and continue selecting Next until the import has completed.

5. Export the certificate from IIS Manager For more information on exporting the certificate, see Export a Server Certificate (IIS 7). The exported file will be used in later steps to upload to Azure for use with your web app.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Hi Shirisha,

I am unable to generate a certificate request using IIS Manager via the instructions and links that you provided.  The step that I am missing is there is no "Server Certificate" feature in IIS Manager (it is missing).below and 

Step #2 listed within the 'Request an Internet Server Certificate (IIS 7)' link does not work for me.  According to Step #2, in IIS Manager in 'Features' View, double-click 'Server Certificates'.  'Server Certificates" is not listed for me.  I do not know why.  Please help.

Paul

Monday, June 15, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I see that the option is only available at the server level. Please check the same and let us know if you can find one.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a way to connect to the web app via IIS Manager at the server level?  If so, how?  I am only able to connect via IIS Manager at the site level.

Thank you.

Paul

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

You should be able to see the  Service certificate in IIS manager as soon as you log into the IIS manager.

Eg :-

If you cannot find one, there must be some issues with the IIS manager that you have installed.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:14 PM
  • I am not able to see the 'Service certificates' feature in IIS Manager.  This is likely because I am connecting via IIS Manager at the site level and not the server level.  I have been unable to connect via IIS Manager at the server level.  Is this possible, when connecting to an Azure web app?  If so, how?

Thank you.

Paul

Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

You should be able to find the option at root level like highlighted in the above post.

Could you share the screen shot on what you are seeing at the root level.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Thursday, June 18, 2015 5:47 PM
  •                   

Tried to connect to Server via IIS Manager:

Specified server (hostname.scm.azurewebsites.net).

Received the following error message:

Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:35 PM
  • As you can see from my previous post, I am not able to connect at the Server level via IIS Manager.  I can connect at the Site level via IIS Manager, but when doing so, am not able to see the 'Service certificates' feature in IIS Manager.  Is it possible to connect at the Server level, when connecting to an Azure web app via IIS Manager?  If so, how?

Thank you.

Paul

Friday, June 19, 2015 1:17 AM
  • Hi,

There appears to be an issue with the IIS manager. Could you reinstall the IIS manager and check if it works.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Friday, June 19, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

I have tried IIS Manager remotely from my workstation, as well as from a Windows 2012 Server, with the same results.  It does not appear to be an issue with IIS Manager.

Paul

Friday, June 19, 2015 5:35 PM
  • Hi Paul,

You don't need to connect to your Azure App Service Web App with IIS Manager to get the Certificate request you just need to open IIS Manager on a machine that has IIS installed on it or connect to one that does.
    In there you will be able to see the Server node and then the Server Certificate option.
    Best regards,

Cristhian Uribe Microsoft MSFT)

Friday, June 19, 2015 5:56 PM
  • You can also use guided walkthrough at the link below to help configure this.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990804

This will show you how you can generate the SSL Certificate request
    with Certreq.exe in Windows, OpenSSL, or IIS Manager but connected to a local
    server and not the Azure Web App as Cristhian indicated.
    Friday, June 19, 2015 5:58 PM