SSRS subreport cannot be shown error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a report which is comprised of 4 subreports. It runs fine on my machine but when i upload it to report manager, it sometimes gives me error "subreport cannot be shown". If i upload it again it runs fine.

Also the same issue occurs sometimes, if i download a perfectly running file from report manager to my local machine then the file on my machine shows the same error.

Please help, why is this happening :(

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Mayank.Jain,

Based on the scenario, this is a known issue.

Consider the following scenario. A Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services report contains more than one dataset. The report also contains a data region that contains a subreport. The subreport contains a top-level subreport and a data region that contains at least one subreport. When you view thereport, you receive the following error message:
    Error: Subreport could not be shown.

The fix for this issue was first released in Cumulative Update 4 for SQL Server 2008 and Cumulative Update 1 for SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1. Please download and install the proper CU based on your SQL Server environment. Here is the KB article link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967749

Regards,
    Mike Yin

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, July 16, 2012 1:09 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:46 PM

All replies

• i think use data source of live server so its running fine.
    Friday, July 6, 2012 6:52 AM
  • It looks like your not passing the right parameters to this subreport.
    Make sure that all the parameters of the subreport have been assigned a value during design
    Friday, July 6, 2012 6:54 AM
  • There is no issue with the report rendering.. it's just that sometimes somewhere it gives error and sometimes runs fine.
    Friday, July 6, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi Mayank,

It seems problem is not with your report problem is with your SQl and parameter passing

Pass the same parameter you are passing to report to your sub report sql query and check sql query is executing ?

most probably it is due to the parameter your passing some time is null

or

Is your any parameter is multivalue ?

if so pass this to sub report like this =join (Parameter!abc.value ,',')

Hope this will help you !!!
    Sanjeewan

Friday, July 6, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Try to experiment with different parameter values.

How long does it take to run the report? It may timeout.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi Mayank.Jain,

Based on the scenario, this is a known issue.

Consider the following scenario. A Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services report contains more than one dataset. The report also contains a data region that contains a subreport. The subreport contains a top-level subreport and a data region that contains at least one subreport. When you view thereport, you receive the following error message:
    Error: Subreport could not be shown.

The fix for this issue was first released in Cumulative Update 4 for SQL Server 2008 and Cumulative Update 1 for SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1. Please download and install the proper CU based on your SQL Server environment. Here is the KB article link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967749

Regards,
    Mike Yin

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, July 16, 2012 1:09 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:46 PM