none
List and Multiple content Types RRS feed

• Question

• I have a List that has two Content Types. One is a Custom Content Type that I created and the other is based on Contact Content Type. When I am trying to add a new item, the Add New Form shows only the columns from the default content type. Is this how it is supposed to work. How can I get the form to display columns from multiple content types at the same time.

Please Advice

Friday, February 15, 2013 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When multiple content types are set on a list and if you create a new item by clicking on "Add new item" it shows the columns from the content type which is set as default content type.

You need to click on the down arrow in the ribbon to select the correct content type. But displaying the colums from multiple content types at the same time is not supported instead we can switch to the required content type using content types dropdown on edit form.

Please refer the below article

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/nl-NL/sharepoint2010general/thread/c5e4bbe0-91c4-429c-9442-4bd229f5e773

If the requirement is displaying all the columns at the same time, then just use one content type with all the required columns.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Ramesh

Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi:

Please try to set in the list definition to use contenttypes, to enable multible contenttypes in your list or library:

<List FeatureId="FeatureGUIDOfTheListDefinition" Type="101" Title="DocumentLibWithContentTypeEnabled"

EnableContentTypes ="TRUE " Description ="This list instance of Document Library will have content type enabled by default" EnableMinorVersions ="TRUE " VersioningEnabled ="TRUE " Url="DocumentLibWithContentTypeEnabled" />

I hope this help

Friday, February 15, 2013 7:50 PM
  • I am trying to create a List from the WebPage itself. Not using Visual Studio. 
    Friday, February 15, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Try on List Settings:Advanced Settigns>Allow content types : Yes

Friday, February 15, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Allow manage multiple content type is set. Still can't get columns from multiple content types to show up on the Add New Forms. Add New shows the columns from the Content Type that is set as the default content type.

But Edit Form gives an option to select the Content Type in a drop down and based on the selection the fields are dynamically changing. 

Something is wrong somewhere.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Hi,

When multiple content types are set on a list and if you create a new item by clicking on "Add new item" it shows the columns from the content type which is set as default content type.

You need to click on the down arrow in the ribbon to select the correct content type. But displaying the colums from multiple content types at the same time is not supported instead we can switch to the required content type using content types dropdown on edit form.

Please refer the below article

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/nl-NL/sharepoint2010general/thread/c5e4bbe0-91c4-429c-9442-4bd229f5e773

If the requirement is displaying all the columns at the same time, then just use one content type with all the required columns.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Ramesh

Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:32 AM