free hosting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I created a WCF Service Application with Visual Studio 2010.

I'd like to test it in a real Web server?

Do you know any free host to test it ?

In that case , do I have just to deploy it or I have to setup the web config before to deploy it??

Many thanks

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

• I would suggest to host it in Windows Azure. The cost will be very close to 0 if you just want to perform some testing...

If this post answers your quenstion, please mark it as such. If this post is helpful, click 'Vote as helpful'.
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Borremans Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, February 17, 2012 8:07 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

additional to Peters post: If you want to use Azure you can use a free 3-month-trial.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Windows Azure is a good choice if you only deploy the service occationally. But I have to point out Windows Azure is a cloud platform instead of a web hosting. It is meant to host something big. In general it is not for individuals, but rather for enterprises and other large organizations. For example, you can use Windows Azure to build your own web hosting solution, which is then sold to your customers. If you use up resources given by the free trial, you're required to pay for what you use, and the price is high compared to a normal web hosting. So remember to remove your deployment when you don't need it. If you don't remove the deployment, at most, you can host a single small instance.

In addition, if you plan to host the serivce in a public web hosting in the future, then the best way to test it is to use that hosting provider. Windows Azure is very powerful. It allows you to use most features provided by WCF. But most (cheaper) web hosting providers do not, so you can only use a subset of WCF features. You can find a lot of web hosting providers on http://www.microsoft.com/web/hosting/home.

Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    If you have feedback about forum business, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com. But please do not ask technical questions in the email.
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Borremans Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:14 AM

All replies

• I would suggest to host it in Windows Azure. The cost will be very close to 0 if you just want to perform some testing...

If this post answers your quenstion, please mark it as such. If this post is helpful, click 'Vote as helpful'.
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Borremans Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:14 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

additional to Peters post: If you want to use Azure you can use a free 3-month-trial.

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Windows Azure is a good choice if you only deploy the service occationally. But I have to point out Windows Azure is a cloud platform instead of a web hosting. It is meant to host something big. In general it is not for individuals, but rather for enterprises and other large organizations. For example, you can use Windows Azure to build your own web hosting solution, which is then sold to your customers. If you use up resources given by the free trial, you're required to pay for what you use, and the price is high compared to a normal web hosting. So remember to remove your deployment when you don't need it. If you don't remove the deployment, at most, you can host a single small instance.

In addition, if you plan to host the serivce in a public web hosting in the future, then the best way to test it is to use that hosting provider. Windows Azure is very powerful. It allows you to use most features provided by WCF. But most (cheaper) web hosting providers do not, so you can only use a subset of WCF features. You can find a lot of web hosting providers on http://www.microsoft.com/web/hosting/home.

Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    If you have feedback about forum business, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com. But please do not ask technical questions in the email.
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Borremans Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Hi,

is your question solved? If so, please mark the appropriate post as answer so other users with a similar problem can find the answer faster. If not, please provide some more information.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:14 PM