Foxpro ODBC error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem connecting to a free table directory, foxpro database developed in Foxpro 2.6 for DOS from an Access 2003 database (Don't ask why it's a long story). I was able to connect to this database via an ODBC connection using the visual foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) but after installing .net and other packages I now get the error 

[Microsoft][ODBC Visual Foxpro Driver] Function sequence error (#0)

when I try to link or import a table. I have applied SP2 for XP and SP2 for office 2003 and have also downloaded the driver again but to no avail. I have reindexed the foxpro tables and tried copying one small table to a directory on it’s own but still unsuccessful. If I open a database with the linked tables already there I can open and browse the data, but I cannot link a new table. I have to copy the database to another machine link the table and then copy the database back. Any help would be appreciated because this has been driving me nuts for several days

Dundoan

Thursday, November 24, 2005 12:03 PM

Answers

•  Dundoan wrote:

I have a problem connecting to a free table directory, foxpro database developed in Foxpro 2.6 for DOS from an Access 2003 database (Don't ask why it's a long story). I was able to connect to this database via an ODBC connection using the visual foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) but after installing .net and other packages I now get the error 

when I try to link or import a table. I have applied SP2 for XP and SP2 for office 2003 and have also downloaded the driver again but to no avail. I have reindexed the foxpro tables and tried copying one small table to a directory on it’s own but still unsuccessful. If I open a database with the linked tables already there I can open and browse the data, but I cannot link a new table. I have to copy the database to another machine link the table and then copy the database back. Any help would be appreciated because this has been driving me nuts for several days

Dundoan

OK an update to the situation.

I am still getting the problem but if I log into the PC as administrator rather than the domain I can use the ODBC connection, link tables etc. My username is an administrator on the local PC. I can use this odbc connection, on the local PC with a mapped drive on the network that was mapped under my domain username.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:19 PM

All replies

• As far as I can say there is not a problem in latest driver (6.01.8629.01). Just tested importing fox2x tutorial sample tables.

Check KB239714 if that helps.

Here is a sad story, I hope that is not it. Just before release of VS.Net 2003 I downloaded and installed RC. After the install my SQL server ODBC connection rendered useless. The Analyzer tool and anything that uses ODBC to SQL server failed miserably with an error that I can't remember now. I searched hard on any info on it to no avail. Tried to trace dlls, registry etc that changed to no avail:( To say the truth I had to reinstall everything from scratch. After reinstalling everything started to work as they should (it was w2K with SPs applied, and while reinstalling I decided to install XP).

If you can't solve it that way and VFP ODBC driver is the only problem for you then you might workaround with VFPOLEDB driver instead. I don't know how you would do it from within Access but if you cannot, you could instead write a little htm using notepad and import with it. Good luck.

PS: On my system (XP SP2) FPD26, VFP5,6,7,8,9 and .Net2003 is installed. At home computer VFP7,9 and .Net2005 (didn't download latest ODBC driver there) and no problem.
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:16 PM
  •  Dundoan wrote:

I have a problem connecting to a free table directory, foxpro database developed in Foxpro 2.6 for DOS from an Access 2003 database (Don't ask why it's a long story). I was able to connect to this database via an ODBC connection using the visual foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) but after installing .net and other packages I now get the error 

Dundoan

OK an update to the situation.

I am still getting the problem but if I log into the PC as administrator rather than the domain I can use the ODBC connection, link tables etc. My username is an administrator on the local PC. I can use this odbc connection, on the local PC with a mapped drive on the network that was mapped under my domain username.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:19 PM