Need blob Lease ID to promote snapshot of stopped/deallocated virtual machine (classic) RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to promote a snapshot of deallocated virtual machine using Azure Storage Explorer, I get this message:

"Failed to promote Snapshot ... There is currently a lease on the blob and no lease ID was specified in the request.

How can I get the lease Id and how do I use the lease id when promoting the snapshot? Can that be done using powershell?

musical9

• Edited by musical9 Monday, February 25, 2019 11:10 AM add details
    Monday, February 25, 2019 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hello musical9,

Are you trying to create  a snapshot of VHD using storage explore, which was in lease state as shown below? 

If yes, could you share the screen shot of error and please elaborate with more information to help better on this?

• Edited by YASWANTH MADI Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:07 AM edited the broken link
    Monday, February 25, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Break the lease using storage explorer, there is option and then promote snapshot

Note: Break lease functionality is in storage explorer, you can use it and then break the lease

Additional information: Refer to the suggestion mentioned in this SO thread

Learn more on Lease Blob

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, February 25, 2019 5:15 PM
  •  @musical9 Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:12 AM
  • I have not tried to  break the lease, because it seems strange that I'd be left with a VM without a lease for the o/s disk.

musical9

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:24 PM
  • @musical9  Apologies for the delay response 

Microsoft Azure provides functionality of acquiring lock-on blobs to avoid concurrent writing to blobs. Yet in some cases, if the backup fails due to the prolonged or sustained network connectivity failure, the backup process may not be able to gain access to the blob and the blob may remain orphaned. This means that the blob cannot be written to or to be deleted until the lease has been released. Under this condition, you might need to break the lease on a blob,

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:28 PM