[UWP] Can a privacy policy be hosted in-app instead of specifying a URL? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently submitted an update for my app and it failed certification because a privacy policy URL was not provided. However, the privacy policy is hosted in the app itself. When I previously submitted an update to the store, I was told this was fine, and my app was accepted without a privacy policy URL.

Here is a direct quote from an email I received last time.

The privacy policy does not need to be a webpage; it can also be a simple page/section within the app itself.
    Thank you,
    Windows Store Team

I tried to clarify the answer to this question for my recent submission, but without success. First I tried clicking on the certification report feedback button at the bottom right of the report and submitting feedback, but that didn't seem to do anything, and I never got a response from it, so I think  maybe that doesn't work. Next I tried replying to the email informing my of my certification failure, but that bounced. Then I tried resubmitting the app with the question in the certification notes box, but I just got another failure with exactly the same reason (privacy policy URL required). So in the end I just gave up and uploaded the privacy policy to OneDrive so I could link to it.

So my question is - is it sufficient to include the privacy policy in the app, or do I genuinely need to provide a privacy policy URL when submitting the app? If it's the latter, then I can't understand why there isn't the option of entering the privacy policy directly into a text box when submitting the app. This would be so much easier for the developer. I uploaded my policy to OneDrive in the end, but this looks a bit unprofessional I think, and I don't really want it on my personal OneDrive account anyway, and I'm likely to forget about it and accidentally delete it. The alternative is to set up a dedicated website, but this places a large extra burden on the developer as well as hosting costs. Also it adds an unnecessary extra external dependency to manage, whereas without it everything would be contained within the app and store page.

Thanks for your time.

• Edited by Ben48 Saturday, January 7, 2017 6:14 PM fix typo
    Saturday, January 7, 2017 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Ben48,

>is it sufficient to include the privacy policy in the app, or do I genuinely need to provide a privacy policy URL when submitting the app?

You may review the Windows Store policies 10.5.1:  "You must provide users with access to your privacy policy by entering the privacy policy URL in Dev Center when you submit your app. In addition, you may also include or link to your privacy policy in the app." So the former is optional, and the latter is necessary.

>If it's the latter, then I can't understand why there isn't the option of entering the privacy policy directly into a text box when submitting the app.

This option is within the Store listing page, just enter the URL here:

>First I tried clicking on the certification report feedback button at the bottom right of the report and submitting feedback, but that didn't seem to do anything, and I never got a response from it, so I think  maybe that doesn't work.

This button is used to gather the customer's feedback about Dev Center, but please note that not all feedback will result in changes and related team is not able to respond to feedback directly. If you need help, please contact Dev Center support.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ben48 Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:24 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Ben48,

>is it sufficient to include the privacy policy in the app, or do I genuinely need to provide a privacy policy URL when submitting the app?

You may review the Windows Store policies 10.5.1:  "You must provide users with access to your privacy policy by entering the privacy policy URL in Dev Center when you submit your app. In addition, you may also include or link to your privacy policy in the app." So the former is optional, and the latter is necessary.

>If it's the latter, then I can't understand why there isn't the option of entering the privacy policy directly into a text box when submitting the app.

This option is within the Store listing page, just enter the URL here:

>First I tried clicking on the certification report feedback button at the bottom right of the report and submitting feedback, but that didn't seem to do anything, and I never got a response from it, so I think  maybe that doesn't work.

This button is used to gather the customer's feedback about Dev Center, but please note that not all feedback will result in changes and related team is not able to respond to feedback directly. If you need help, please contact Dev Center support.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ben48 Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:24 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi Mattew,
    Ok, so it seems like a privacy policy URL is required.

What I meant by a text box was a text box where you can directly enter the contents of the privacy policy rather then a URL. This would be so much more convenient! Is there any reason why this isn't an option?

I think the feedback button is misleading in that case. At the top of the report it asks you to enter any questions via the feedback button, which makes it seem like you should get a direct response. It ought to be clear that this is not the case. You used to be able to reply to the certification failure email, but now it seems there is no way of asking direct questions about certification failure, which is a step backwards I think.

• Edited by Ben48 Monday, January 9, 2017 9:05 PM fix typo
    Monday, January 9, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Hi Ben,

It can be more appropriate to show it in the Store listing page when you use URL link. Also, it will be convenient to keep it updated and you can include the link in the bottom right of your app or the about page later.

You don't need to use OneDrive to display the statement. Just host it in blog or other your individual website and enter the URL in the Store listing page of your submission. 

Regarding the feedback button, you can view the feedback you have sent in the Submitted feedback section of Account Setting page. But if you need help, please contact Dev Center support directly. Really appreciate your feedback about Dev Center and I will forward your voice to related team.

Thank you sincerely.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:39 AM
  • Ok, thanks. I think I will submit my suggestion of being able to enter the privacy policy directly to UserVoice, as this would be more convenient for me.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:24 PM